Stuck in Dictation....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Stuck in Dictation....

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 am

What do you do when they fly through dictation passages and then get to one where they are just stuck? Jayden got to 50 with no issues at all... maybe the random missing punctuation or capitalization. But nothing that she didn't catch on the checking and nothing that didn't get fixed the next time easily. But she has been on number 50 for 4 times now. OF course I type this and she'll get it right today, but in the future what do I do? Just keep doing the same one until she gets it right? Give it a certain number of tries and then move on? What do we do when she gets stuck?

holdinon

Re: Stuck in Dictation....

Post by holdinon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:51 am

My oldest had this happen once. It was so frustrating to both of us for a while, but we kept on the same one. I think she developed a mental block or something after the 4th time :shock: . We got through our frustration though, and it actually started being funny (well, not really funny, but we could laugh at it). What we did after about the 5th time I think was to just take a break with dictation for a few days (maybe 4-5 days). We didn't skip it, we just didn't do dictation at all for that week. Then when she tried it again, she got it right the first day back. We both did a happy dance (literally :D ) when she got it right.

The funny thing was, after she made it past that one, she didn't make one single error for at least the next 10 passages or so. :D

Hang in there! She'll get it!
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 am

Well, just like I said, she got it right this time.

I just wanted to be sure I was doing it right... and that it was normal :oops: I mean, like literally no mistakes for 20 passages, and then this one hit and she just could not get it right. Thanks for the reassurance and advice!

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:50 am

that's what we do-just don't do dictation for a couple days. :)
I have also gone back to one of the passages that they did well on, so they can regain that sense of mastery.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: