I have a problem with the use of this word in a HOD book

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
parjackson7

I have a problem with the use of this word in a HOD book

Post by parjackson7 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm

OK, I was blissfully reading The Adventures of Reddy Fox earlier this week to my three boys. I never thought it would be necessary to pre-read HOD books for 5 and 6 year olds, but I guess I was wrong. In chapter 17, Unc' Billy uses the word "pickaninnies" to describe his children. Pickaninny (picaninny or piccaninny are variations of the spelling) is a very derogatory term for a young child of African heritage.

I was reading aloud to my children and I said the word and immediately stopped because I couldn't believe I just read that. I stared at it for several long moments and the boys were growing impatient with me to complete the story. I just sat there, stunned.

Three of my children are African American.

Is there a list of offensive terms used in HOD books so parents can at least be prepared before those zingers come up? I know the book is a product of its time, but I was so off-guard because I never thought I would encounter something like that at the kindergarten/first grade level.
Amy

DD 8 - Bigger w/extensions
DS 6 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG
DD 3 - LHTH but keeping up with big brothers in LHFHG

tnahid

Re: I have a problem with the use of this word in a HOD book

Post by tnahid » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Glad you let me know! I also have an African daughter from Ethiopia! Thank you for the heads up!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm realy glad you mentioned this, as I have read that once already, and didn't know what it meant. :oops: Though every parent must be vigilant for their own family, I think HOD is quite conservative in their choices in general, and have not come across other problematic terms yet. I know that parental warnings are *usually* noted in the guide, such as before the reading in History for Little Pilgrims that mentions slavery in LHFHG.
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 pm

I just edit as I read. Substitute a word that I do use, like rascals or something.

One that I should not have a problem with, but do is using queer for strange. I just can't use it.

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 pm

I think Carrie usually puts a caution in the guide IF she knows a word is offensive/outdated. I'm guessing perhaps she didn't know this one.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

parjackson7

Post by parjackson7 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:28 pm

I guess I feel disappointed and even somewhat betrayed because I now feel as though I have to edit and pre-read everything in LHFHG. In my mind, it's not an open-and-go curricula if I have to read every word of every lesson before presenting it to them.

It feels sort of wrong that HOD encourages us to shelter our children from false gods and religions until they are older and have a faith in Christ before facing mythology, etc, but it's ok for racial slurs to be in a program for 5 year-olds? I suppose I expected more sensitivity in book choices for such young children.
Amy

DS 6 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG

parjackson7

Post by parjackson7 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:30 pm

raceNzanesmom wrote:I think Carrie usually puts a caution in the guide IF she knows a word is offensive/outdated. I'm guessing perhaps she didn't know this one.

I hope this is the case. It's like the n-word, but refers specifically to children.
Amy

DS 6 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG
DS 5.5 - LHFHG

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:22 pm

parjackson7 wrote:I guess I feel disappointed and even somewhat betrayed because I now feel as though I have to edit and pre-read everything in LHFHG. In my mind, it's not an open-and-go curricula if I have to read every word of every lesson before presenting it to them.

It feels sort of wrong that HOD encourages us to shelter our children from false gods and religions until they are older and have a faith in Christ before facing mythology, etc, but it's ok for racial slurs to be in a program for 5 year-olds? I suppose I expected more sensitivity in book choices for such young children.
Forgive me if this sounds harsh or blunt b/c it's hard to convey my sincere tone online as well as when I'm in a rush... I think your comments are taking it a tad too far, but not in regard to the word itself. I mean with now having to pre read everything and almost making it sound like HOD/Carrie knew what it meant and chose to use it anyway like she didn't care and is encouraging us to make racial slurs ok for our kids...that's just incorrect. I'm certain you don't mean it like that, but like I said, it is hard to convey tone online. It does read that way, however, and I'd like for you to be aware of that. HOD is the MOST selective and conservative in their book choices of any program I've seen or used. Carrie always, always, always, makes a note if she sees anything offensive or even something that would be possibly of any concern to any parent out there. I think it is safe to assume she had no idea what this word meant, as many of us don't. I had no idea. I do think the literature choice is of high quality and I dont' think there is any need to pre-read, nor is there any need to make comments that come across as "bashing" simply b/c one word was missed. I think your next to last sentence is especially harsh sounding. I mean no offense, and I want others that are considering this very Christ centered, very open and go, conservative, wonderful program not to be misled or steered away b/c of this one post. HOD is too wonderful to miss.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

LAB

Post by LAB » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:30 pm

We live in such a different world now that I had no idea it was a derogatory term! I would have just thought it was a cute name to call energetic children.

I asked my DH if he knew the meaning and he thought it was a type of food. He was raised in the South, but not by Southern parents. MIL is Canadian.

I haven't read the book you are reading, but a quick glance through wouldn't hurt.

Did your kids ask what it meant?
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:38 pm

parjackson7 wrote:but it's ok for racial slurs to be in a program for 5 year-olds? I suppose I expected more sensitivity in book choices for such young children.
I do not think that Carrie thinks it's ok for racial slurs to be in a program for 5 year-olds at all! I had no idea this was an offensive term. I was raised loving the Burgess books and if my mom knew that was a racial slur she would have said something or not let me read it at all. I agree with Tamara about the tone of your message. It may be best to give Carrie a chance to respond before making statements like this...
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:54 pm

LAB wrote:We live in such a different world now that I had no idea it was a derogatory term! I would have just thought it was a cute name to call energetic children.
Me too. We thought it was a fun sounding word. I had no idea that was an offensive term! I looked it up in our dictionary just now, and that wouldn't have tipped me off either. While it says that it is "a small black child"...it doesn't give me any hint that it should be viewed as a negative word. (We have an American Heritage Collegiate Dictionary.) My guess is that Carrie also was not aware that was an offensive slang term in the past. She really does an incredible job of screening books and providing wholesome content that is top notch! Really! I'm pretty sure that I remember her warning in the guide when the word "stupid" was used in a book so that we could skip it. Our family really strives to have Biblical standards for what we let enter our minds, and we have found HOD to be our ally on this. :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickaninny

If anyone is interested, here is a full article on the term. I believe, as a mother of an African child, that if the child is an appropriate age to understand, this could be used as a teachable moment to talk about the history or racism in America or something along that line, and how against it God really is. There are many books from the time period of American history which have such terminology, as it sadly a part of our history. Yet, by using scriptures, we can show our children that God's way is the best and only TRUE way.

In no way do I believe that this would reflect on Carrie's judgment of books or anything like that. She is a superb Christian woman. Yet, I understand the righteous anger at reading words such as these which would at one time in history have been used to describe our precious African children. This Mama Bear would ROAR to hear anyone use derogatory language around me!! :x :) Rest assured, you will not be disappointed with HOD, nor do you need to review all the readings prior. Just follow the Holy Spirit and use teachable moments with the literature.

Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Tina--what wonderful, Godly counsel! Thank you!!

(And I wouldn't have known what the word meant either. I think Tina made a great point in that most people today wouldn't even know or use that word, but you could teach how it used to be--very poorly-- used, and how wrong it is, and how precious ALL children are in God's sight!)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Yes, well said, Tina! I had looked it up on Wikipedia just before you posted the link. :D I am glad to know about this because we read lots of classical literature in our house.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:27 pm

I have to agree, that while the word is completely horrible, until this thread I had never known it was a derrogatory word for anyone. I've read Reddy Fox twice now and just assumed the word meant something silly like little scamps or some such thing. I will take Tina's advice and use that as a teachable moment in the future when we come across that book just as I do when we come across derrogatory terms for Native Americans and such. Reading any older text is bound to have politically UN-correct terms from time to time as sadly these words were accepted at the time. While I do think people can get carried away with being politically correct, I think we also need to be sensitive of what is hurtful to others. In literature, I do believe we need to be careful about what we read, but also not throw the baby out with the bath water. However, if that book is completely offensive to you, then I think you could easily swap the book(s) for something different.

I need to ditto what others have said about Carrie. She is a wonderful Christian woman who works VERY HARD to pre-read EVERY SINGLE BOOK she recommends. And I think she does a fabulous job at it too. While she may have missed a word like this, I am willing to give her the benifit of the doubt that she had no knowledge of what it meant just like many others here have stated or she would have at least given a warning.

I am sorry you were hurt by this. I enciurage you to give HOD (and Carrie!) more of a chance, I think you will fall in love with HOD like so many of us have.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10