New to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Aubreygirl

New to HOD

Post by Aubreygirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to HOD although I have been admiring it and recommending it to new homeschool families for a few years. I have used another literature/history based curriculum for 5 years and am ready for a change. I really am looking forward to using HOD as it seems to cover a wide range of subjects a little at a time each day/week! I will be schooling an 11yo dd-6th grade, 9 yo ds-4th grade, and 5 yo dd-Kindergarten this year. After reading many posts on the message board and looking at the placement chart, I feel that PHFHG is the core to use. It seems that this might be a good spot to start in HOD. I am use to schooling to my oldest and choosing by the history I want to teach. But according to Carrie and others I should pick according to the needs of the youngest and add-on for the older. Because of this and the fact that my children haven't gotten enough grammar and hardly any science teaching,although it is my every intention to make that happen, I am choosing PHFHG. Does that sound right? SO, here are my questions:
1)Are there any boy and girl interest books for DITHOR 2/3???
2)How are the Deluxe package readers scheduled in to the core?
3)Does the deluxe package include the readers from the basic package or are they completely different packages??? I'm feeling confused at how it can schedule the two different packages in one teacher guide. Plus, I really like the Draw and Write Through History book offered in the deluxe package and really would like to use this regardless of which package I choose.
4)Is it fairly easy to use an extension package? Are there any example pages from the extension I could see?
5)Are the package readers separate from the DITHOR readers??? Exactly how much reading am I looking at?

Thanks for your patience with this newbie!

Blessings,
Aubrey

Aubreygirl

Re: New to HOD

Post by Aubreygirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Ok, folks...

I just read the introduction pdf and now I feel silly!!! Almost all of my questions have been answered by that. :oops: The only thing I would like is input on placement. I think that PHFHG is right for us, but would love some experienced HOD users for any advice.

Thanks!
Aubrey

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi Aubrey! Welcome to HOD!!! :D

Is PHFHG for your two oldest or were you trying to fit them all in it?
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Seems like Preparing will be fine for you older two, but for your 5 year old it will be too much. You might want to try Little Hearts or Little Hands for him/her, depending on their skill level. Sounds like you are going to have a great year!

Welcome to HOD!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Aubreygirl

Post by Aubreygirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Tina & Jessica,

I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear. Yes to just using PHFHG with the older two in 4th & 6th. I wouldn't try and put my Kindergartener in there too. That would be too much! :D I actually will use something I already have for this Kindergarten year and then jump in with HOD next year. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Blessings,
Aubrey

LAB

Post by LAB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm

We just started with Bigger for my third and fourth graders. Preparing seems like a good fit for your crew! Welcome to the boards! We're having a great time!
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I think Preparing sounds great, then! :D I would double check the placement chart though (especially the first page of it) to make sure both your children fit well in Preparing. You may also want to look into doing the extensions with your 6th grader, just to challenge your DD if you feel she needs it. If you don't, then it still would work great! :D HTH!
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Definitely check the placement chart for each child - it is a great tool and can really make the difference between success and struggle with HOD. http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.