Daily Lesson List for Your Children?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnahid

Daily Lesson List for Your Children?

Post by tnahid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 am

Do any of you make out a daily lesson list for your children to follow? I want my ds to do quite a bit independently this year. I was thinking of giving him a lesson book and just having it all laid out for him. Or I could copy the Bigger pages and put them in a notebook for him. What do you all do for your older students? Do you plan it out daily or weekly for them, put it in a notebook, etc? What is you method for giving them a list of daily lessons they are to do?

Last year I had a very general one, but I am not sure that works really well, because it wasn't very specific. The kids just followed along with the next page where the left off, etc. Thanks for you suggestions!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

tnahid

Re: Daily Lesson List for Your Children?

Post by tnahid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 am

P.S. The plan I gave the last year just was a general schedule of the day in the subjects they were to do. It didn't include page numbers to read, etc. Just to make that clear!
Tina
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:00 am

At the beginning of Bigger I was writing down the list of ind. stuff for DD to do along with page numbers and when to see me first. Now I expect her to be able to look in the Teacher's Guide to be able to see what she needs to do, which books she needs, and whether or not there's an activity or whatever that she needs me for. So basically I don't write any lesson plans any more, I just expect her to use the TM just like I do. Of course since she's just 8 I do make sure she's read the instructions first, but by the time we start Preparing sometime this fall I really do not expect to have to check up after her. I don't really HAVE to now. I'll just check her work at the end.

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 am

I made a checklist for each of my boys to try out for this year. (Someone else passed this idea along to me and then I changed it a little bit. Credit goes to that other person!) It is in the same pattern as the manual. (Actually, the pattern matches Bigger because my oldest son is doing Bigger.) I thought I'd laminate it so that they can use dry-erase markers on it and check off as they go. This is the Beyond one. The orange boxes are for non-HOD stuff. At the bottom right of the page I have boxes that can be checked so we do Spanish 3 times a week but it doesn't matter which days and keeps it separate from the HOD stuff.

Maybe a checklist like this would be helpful? Something he could be in charge of and keep him on task?

Sorry it's so big. Can't figure that out right now. Have to work on that and edit my post later. :|
Attachments
Generic Checkboxes.jpg
Generic Checkboxes.jpg (166.81 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:29 am

Thank you for this schedule, Cyndi. How would I print this out? Also, how would I make one of these with the boxes and such? What computer program do you use for that?

Thanks so much! And thank you MomtoJGJE, for you comment too. I will take that into consideration as well.

Blessings!
Tina

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:02 pm

If you PM me, I'll email it to you. I used Open Office, but have converted it to excel to send to whomever wants one. Converted it to pdf so I could convert it to a jpeg to get it to post to the site. Shew! :roll: Anyone else that wants it, feel free to pm me as well. :D
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

LAB

Post by LAB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

I made a similar checklist for my kids. I put it in the front of their 3 ring binder in a plastic page protector. My girls just check it off, but you could easy write page # in the box or have your kids write them each day from the manual.
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 am

What an awesome check-off sheet :D . Thank you for sharing.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

HollyS

Post by HollyS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 am

I tried writing out each day what they had to complete on a dry erase board. It didn't work so well here because my younger DDs would erase the whole board for fun. :roll:

I keep meaning to make up some paper checklists, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2