How do you keep a record of what you've done?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
BlessedMomof9

How do you keep a record of what you've done?

Post by BlessedMomof9 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:35 am

HI! My question is how do you keep a record of what you've done?
I'm in Florida and we have to keep a "log of educational activities which is made contemporaneously with the instruction and which designates by title any reading materials used."
In the past I have just used a student planner from Walmart and written the subjects in the side and then on each day I write in what book we worked from and the pages. However, I just switched to HOD and we started 2 weeks ago and when I went to write down what we were doing I found it much more difficult than before, because of all the different things we do in HOD. We never had poetry before, or dictation, and some of the projects are great and we are doing them but where do I write them down? I'm afraid my student planner's don't have enough room! I also don't want to rewrite the HOD guide!
So do any of you have any helpful suggestions for me?
Thank you ladies!
Kymberly
Wife to a wonderful husband, father and pastor
Mother to: Twin 19 yr boys in college now
DD 12- Resurrection to Reformation
DD-10 & DS-8 Preparing Hearts for His Glory
DD-6 & DD-5 Little Hearts for His Glory
DD-2
DD-10 months

krismoose

Re: How do you keep a record of what you've done?

Post by krismoose » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm not in FL, so I don't know if this would work, but could you pencil in the dates on the HOD guide pages and bring it with you to your end-of-year evaluation? You could either erase them once your year is "officially recorded", or maybe use a different color for later children? Do they need to keep it? If so, I guess that wouldn't work...hmm...I'm sure there are some FL HOD users out there :mrgreen:
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

blessed2five

Post by blessed2five » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Kymberly,

Hi, I also live in FL and will share with you what I plan to do. For my HOD students I will simply have a daily check off sheet of their individual subjects that they or I can check off once completed and use this as my "record." You could even go as far as writing the poem or Bible verse they were working on at the time on this sheet. Using a simple weekly grid type calender where you fill in the columns with the subjects and then pencil in any extras is the kind I will use.

I don't think we need to keep a detailed log of each assignment they complete because we will have their actual work to "show" anyone who would ask to look at it. With a simple check off sheet, an evaluator can see the dates and the outline of our work at a glance and then look at the actual work to see what was actually done. No one that I know keeps detailed records unless they are keeping the actual guide book and instructions and that can become costly and a storage problem. :D

Another thing is that we are required to only have two years of work saved to show at any given time.

I hope this helps.
Emily
Homeschooling mom to 5dc, wife to wonderful dh
dd 13 finished RTR onto RevtoRev in the fall
dd 10 Preparing
dd 5 ready for LHFHG
ds 16, dd 3

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I live in Fl.
This is the 2nd year we had an evaluation. and a different evaluator this year. She said i could bring as much as i like to the eval.
Both of them really like the checklist i got from a cool site with lots of forms and such and asked me to share it with them . It has room to put dates on ne side and subjects across the top. I will PM it to ya since we aren't supposed to post sites.
I just took my HOD guides as the lesson plans. She didn't even really look at it in detail. I did keep track of the extra science we did on a separate sheet.
she was mostly interested in hearing them read and seeing what they read and what i read for storytime, looking at their math and looking thru the projects, pictures, copywork, we had put together in a binder for each kid. it really wasn't alot. She was also familiar with the Charlotte Mason style of teaching so that was a bonus.
i really like the checklist to keep me accountable.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

BlessedMomof9

Post by BlessedMomof9 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Thank you Ladies! You've helped me figure out a system that will work for us!

Thanks!
Wife to a wonderful husband, father and pastor
Mother to: Twin 19 yr boys in college now
DD 12- Resurrection to Reformation
DD-10 & DS-8 Preparing Hearts for His Glory
DD-6 & DD-5 Little Hearts for His Glory
DD-2
DD-10 months

cpresz

Post by cpresz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:51 pm

jenntracy wrote:I live in Fl.
This is the 2nd year we had an evaluation. and a different evaluator this year. She said i could bring as much as i like to the eval.
Both of them really like the checklist i got from a cool site with lots of forms and such and asked me to share it with them . It has room to put dates on ne side and subjects across the top. I will PM it to ya since we aren't supposed to post sites.
I just took my HOD guides as the lesson plans. She didn't even really look at it in detail. I did keep track of the extra science we did on a separate sheet.
she was mostly interested in hearing them read and seeing what they read and what i read for storytime, looking at their math and looking thru the projects, pictures, copywork, we had put together in a binder for each kid. it really wasn't alot. She was also familiar with the Charlotte Mason style of teaching so that was a bonus.
i really like the checklist to keep me accountable.

Jenn D.
Would you be willing to send me a PM too with that information? I'm trying to put together a plan for this year. I am not required by law to keep track of these things. However, you never know when it might be necessary to have them on file. Also, I want to keep myself on track.
Thanks!
Christan

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:07 am

I am also a first year FL hs mom. Can you please pm me the link? Yay for the FL moms doing HOD!!!
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:08 am

Jenn posted a link in the yahoo group if anyone still needs the checklist. Thanks Jenn! :D
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:39 am

ty ty Jenn
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along