Can we use 2 bible translations for Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jen_good

Can we use 2 bible translations for Bigger?

Post by jen_good » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi!

I am using Bigger for my ds and dd. My ds has an NIV Bible and my dd has an NIrV Bible. Today was our first day and I had both kids read the bible verses from their own bible. I then realized that this will be a problem as we try to do our memory work. DS wants to memorize his version. DD wants to memorize her version because she understands it better. I am leaning towards NIV because that's probably what she will be using as she gets older. She seemed rather upset when I mentioned that to her however.

So, my question is... is it better to let her memorize in the version she is currently reading so memorization doesn't become a chore for her?

Thank you!
Jen

Kathleen

Re: Can we use 2 bible translations for Bigger?

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 pm

You can memorize in whatever version you prefer. The only problem I would see is that if you're doing it together, you'd want it to match as you practice out loud. They'll add actions and do the physical things in the plans in between practicing it. So, if you want to split for that, and have time to, you could do different versions. Otherwise, I'd choose one and do it together.

Maybe you could get your daughter a new Bible? Then hers will "match", too. I know that my son has enjoyed underlining the verses in his Bible after they're memorized.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 pm

I copy the verse onto notebook paper or onto the white board and my ds learns it from there. He get the joy of learning whatever version I choose for him. LOL Honestly, sometimes I look through several versions before I find the one I would most like for him to learn. It might be better to do that for your kids and then not give them the option of whose Bible to look at...you pick!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm

We had this issue as well. It became too confusing to have people saying different versions of the same verses. So we now have one version for memorizing it in but I have them read their own version to get more of the context of the verse. So we have a memorizing Bible and a reading Bible. We have six kids so that was what we needed to decide to have some sanity. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)