Creating a notebook in Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

Creating a notebook in Beyond

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 pm

I bought a couple of notebooks, since they were on sale for back-to-school stuff :D! I thought I would use page protectors and create notebooks of the school work. Has anyone else done this? Especially since she's doing copywork and this year we are starting to create a timeline. I guess more of this is done in the next guides, so hopefully doing something like this this year will be good preparation for guides to come. 8)
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Tree House Academy

Re: Creating a notebook in Beyond

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea. The later guides (starting with CTC) have them, so if you want to take the time to create them, it definitely can't hurt!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 pm

I was just thinking about this as well. Last year we did LHFHG and used a composition book with the top half open for pictures. Whenever we were supposed to write a sentence about Reddy Fox, we would write it at the bottom and I would have them draw a picture at the top. They really enjoy looking back over those books.

The problem for next year, however, is that they won't be able to fit the poem at the bottom of the page in the composition books. All I could think of was that they could do copywork in one place, and I could print the poem at the bottom of a blank sheet of paper for the to draw a picture at the top. Then we'd use sheet protectors on that?

I'd really rather have their copywork with the picture together. I guess we can't use composition books if I want that. Maybe use handwriting paper for the copywork and then let them draw a picture on a blank page and then put them together in a notebook so you see the picture on the left and the copywork on the right?

Still thinking on this too. Would love to hear ideas as well. I'd love for them to have a more special keepsake from their Beyond year too!
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm

That's a clever idea that you did for LHFHG. I may use that when I'm going through it again next year!

The handwriting paper I have that she's doing the copywork on also is not oriented the right way. So in the notebook, it will be sideways. And it will take more than one side of one page to do it. But I think I'm just going to roll with it. But I like the sideways paper because she can fit one line of the poem on each line. Plus instead of illustrating at the end, she's been drawing small pictures on each line. I don't know how well that will work with future poems, but it's really nice with this one.

I think the copywork and drawing will have to be on separate pages, but I certainly could make them facing with the page protectors.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:49 am

My kids use regular composition books for notebooking. They have no problem drawing on lined pages. We draw on the left page and do copywork on the right page so that they are able to see both.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 am

Love this idea. I know there are pages on the HOD yahoo group for Beyond...so perhaps that might be a good place to start.

We start in a week and a half. I am so excited to start!!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 am

Last year, two of my children did Beyond together. I put together a binder for each of them to keep their work in. We had a section for our timeline, then page protectors that they could slip their projects, activities and drawings in, then a section for their poetry work. For poetry, I just photocopied the poems from the guide, and they could then use those to cut out the poem and arrange it in the proper order. They glued the poem pieces on construction paper and slipped it in a page protector. For the copywork of the poem, they used paper that was blank on top and had handwriting lines on the bottom. Then when they filled those lines, we just used a whole sheet of handwriting paper to finish out the copywork of the poem. These papers allowed for them to draw their picture above the poem copywork and then they just filed them behind the construction paper poem they made earlier in the week. It worked well as a way to display their work for the year! :wink:

Blessings as you begin Beyond soon!! :D

HollyS

Post by HollyS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 am

My DC have binders for Beyond. We have them divided into sections: copywork (and their pictures to go with the poems), storytime (pictures and sentences they write/copy to go with the lessons), history/science/art (pictures, maps, artwork, etc.), and English (my oldest is using R&S lessons from Bigger). I plan on printing out a list of what books we read to go in their storytime section as well. They also keep their timelines in the pocket of the binder.
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:34 pm

HollyS wrote:My DC have binders for Beyond. We have them divided into sections: copywork (and their pictures to go with the poems), storytime (pictures and sentences they write/copy to go with the lessons), history/science/art (pictures, maps, artwork, etc.), and English (my oldest is using R&S lessons from Bigger). I plan on printing out a list of what books we read to go in their storytime section as well. They also keep their timelines in the pocket of the binder.
Thanks, this sounds like just what I'd like to do. I haven't read ahead too far obviously, for the storytime books do they also do pages for those? All the other stuff obviously we've already started. I love the idea of printing the list of books they've read!
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven