OT: Climate Change

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kvmck

OT: Climate Change

Post by kvmck » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:36 pm

It seems we can't go to a museum or even a friends house without the subject of climate change coming up. Especially in context of how important it is to recycle, use compostables, ride bikes, use the right light bulbs, and even drink "rainforest approved" coffee (my kids looked at me when that when came up at the museum!). I believe that as a Christian I need to teach my kids to take care of our planet.. but it is no where close to my top priority (sorry!).

This topic is SO important to so many people in our area (we live 10 minutes from Boulder, CO if that means anything to anyone..) that I feel I need to teach my kids about it becuase we are surrounded by it and yet I can't find any resources that explain it from what I consider to be a God-honoring viewpoint--meaning that the earth is not our god.

This is a topic that I have strong opinions about but that I cannot explain to my kids why I believe what I do. And there is my question-- what is a good, scientific (but understandable) resource to use? I'm looking for something that is quite detailed.. doesn't have to be a children's book b/c if I can read it and then teach my kids that is fine, but there is sooo much information and I'm not so interesed in this topic that I want to research it for a long time. I want to know basics-- is global warming happening? what causes it? what is the effect on the earth? how do we know this? are animals really dying? How does what we know from Noah's flood and past climate experiences affect what we know now?

Thank you to anyone who has some insight into this!
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

mamas4bugs

Re: OT: Climate Change

Post by mamas4bugs » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:23 am

Apologia's Physical Science book covers this in the 4 chapters, if I remember correctly. Kind of pricey, though, to buy it for just that section. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

And from what I can gather of your opinions on this subject, I agree with you. :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

lisaha1

Re: OT: Climate Change

Post by lisaha1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 am

I think "Properties of Ecosystems" is a good book for explaining the planet in a God Honoring way. It explains how we are to be good stewards of the earth God created (with Biblical passages to back it up) but how we are also to use the resources God has created and subdue the planet (with Biblical passages to back it up.) It also explains things like the food web and water cycle plus differant biomes around the world. It is a 4-8th grade level, so some of it I had to rephrase for my younger crew, but they understood that we must do what we can, but God is incharge and we don't need to worry about destroying the planet bc Jesus is returning and He has a plan bigger then us! :)