Bible for Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kwickimom

Bible for Preparing

Post by kwickimom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:06 pm

I am looking for Bible suggestions for my 9YO to use in Preparing this fall. I have always used KJV and my dd has one I passed on to her, but I think I want something simpler for her to understand. Suggestions? I truly have never lookad at another Bible version and so I am clueless :)

blessedmomof4

Re: Bible for Preparing

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:03 pm

NIV is my favorite simpler version. If you prefer something closer to KJV, you could try the NKJV. incidentally, the Psalms CD for Preparing uses mostly KJV :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

kwickimom

Post by kwickimom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 pm

blessedmomof4 wrote:NIV is my favorite simpler version. If you prefer something closer to KJV, you could try the NKJV. incidentally, the Psalms CD for Preparing uses mostly KJV :)

I was thinking of KJV verses for memorization and a "simpler" version for reading and discussing. Good to know about the Psalms CD, I have it but didnt look at it yet thanks :D

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 pm

I really loved kjv and was just about sold as a kjv-only-er. Lol! I got a nlt to use and I fell in love!! I love how straight forward it is. I have seen selections from Gods word, I have read oodles of times before, in a whole new light. That being said, PHFHG does lend itself well for KJV. I am having my son memorize the nkjv, because I think it is easier to quote and apply. It also is very similar to kjv so it actually works well. I highly suggest for PHFHG the NKJV, but for just everyday reading - love, love, love the NLT.
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:26 am

i would say the NKJV b/c you have used the KJV and it is the most similiar. i find it hard to memorize anything else. the KJV is poetic and easier to memorize but sometimes i can't understand what it is saying. my husband doesn't like anything else.
i have used the NKJV since that is what my church was/is using when i started there. i met my husband a few years after . so we use NKJV with school, although i have to admit i wish i could use the KJV.
My husband does not like any other version.i won't go into that. But i do agree with him. Especially does not like the NIV or NLT BUT sometimes they can clarify what you are trying to read in the KJV IF the meaning is not totally different from the KJV text
i will say that with any other translation than the KJV their are going to be changes in the words so of course the meaning is going to be different in some spots.
there is my 2 cents.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:01 am

Jenn,

I agree and understand what you are saying. I think my fav Bible would be with the new living translation and the King James version side by side. ;-)

But, yep, I like NKJV for Preparing...
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

I was just on a search for a bible for my dd for her 8th birthday. I wanted something that she would be able to grow with for a while, yet still be friendly for her age. I went with the the ESV Seek and Find Bible http://www.amazon.com/Seek-Find-Bible-T ... 208&sr=8-1 (they have it in blue as well that I will probably get for my ds when he is old enough). I absolutely love it. The text is similar to KJV (I personally read the NKJV). I wasn't oppossed to other versions but I was hoping for something easy to read and understand. ANd it is just beautiful, the type of bible that she could certainly keep for many years (it is recommended for ages 8-12), it has some illustrations, not many, but they are beautifully done.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 pm

I vote NKJV - we are KJV people here, but I have just started reading the NKJV and I like that I know what verse I am reading, but it is easier on my tired old brain.