What is Earlybird Kindergarten like?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Moley

What is Earlybird Kindergarten like?

Post by Moley » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what Singapore math is really like? I've heard a mix of things, but can anyone give me some more deeper insight into what it's like? For example, is is mostly mental math (from what I understand) or does it use manipulatives? Also, how hard would it be to use manipulatives if it doesn't use any? Any other descriptions would be really appreciated. Thanks so much!

Lori

Mercy

Re: What is Earlybird Kindergarten like?

Post by Mercy » Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 am

Hi Lori,

Me again. ;-) LOL!

Just wanted to ask if you have had the chance to look at the samples on the website? Here is the link to the Little Hearts page: http://www.heartofdakota.com/little-hearts.php and if you look to the right underneath the picture of the guide you will see a link for the sample week. Once you pull that up, each day has a math box on the lower right hand corner. This will give you an idea of the types of activities go along with Singapore while using HOD. It is neat to look at the upper grades too - beyond and bigger both have scheduled activities you will do with your student. Carrie has made Singapore much more "hands on" than if you were to use it with the textbook alone. ;-) That will give you some idea of what to expect. Also, here is a link to the Singapore website where you can check out some samples of the curriculum as well: http://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_s/60.htm

Because I haven't used it...well, I own 1A & 1B and used it for a few WEEKS with my oldest...but I really don't have a lot of real experience with it. So, I can't help you very much. I can tell you that it is a "to the point" type of curriculum, not a lot of fuss. There is teacher & student interaction, which is unlike some of the video programs that are out there now. But, it is not too teacher intensive, so it seems like it is doable. ;-) Otherwise, it is advanced. Multiplication is done very early in picture form. I think the emphasis is on learning the number families that go together - for instance 2,1,3...2+1=3, 1+2=3, 3-1=2, 3-2=1. I think...if not, someone more informed will correct me here!! I do know also that it is strong in mental math - something I lack very much! LOL!

Anyway, hope something there helps you.
I am sure someone with some real experience will come along too.

Have a fantastic day!
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 am

Singapore Math does encourage the development of mental math skills in general, but I don't think it's a big part of the Earlybird Kindergarten that HOD uses with LHFHG. I happen to have 2A in front of me. First of all, regarding manipulatives, the LHFHG manual gives you a hands-on, manipulative type activity to do each day. Also, at the bottom of each page the Earlybird book there's a blue box for the parent or teacher to read about how to use that page. Some of them also involve manipulatives, but they're probably not as good for kindergarten because some of them assume you have a number of kindergarten students.

Anyway, Earlybird focuses on very age-appropriate kindergarten math skills. Things like counting, writing numerals and number words, measuring, etc. 2B gets into addition, early subtraction, counting by fives, money. The workbooks themselves are very visual with a lot of nice, color illustrations. A page will often have a few problems, nicely illustrated, rather than a lot of problems. I think this is great for kindergarten because it holds the child's attention and doesn't overwhelm with too many problems at once.

We had a great experience with Earlybird and LHFHG last year! My daughter actually often was able to do the workbook pages with no assistance needed or wanted from me. I don't think every kindergartener would do that, but it was great for our circumstances. A friend tried to persuade me to switch to Saxon for 1st grade, and I said, "No way! Singapore is working beautifully and I'm not tampering with it." :mrgreen:
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 pm

Everyone was already so helpful, that I will just agree! :D We enjoyed Singapore's EB K so much, especially alongside HOD's great hands-on math plans. We now have our third ds just about ready to start his journey with EB K, a middle ds who is just finished Singapore Math 2B, and an oldest ds who just finished 5A. They are thriving. They are strong in math. They test well. I couldn't be more pleased with Singapore, not only at the start of it with EB K, but all the way through it. :D Here are some links for you to read if you are interested in seeing down the road with Singapore...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4271&p=31537#p31537
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112

HTH!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Moley

Post by Moley » Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for all for replying to my question about Earlybird. Mercy, I checked out the math box and I see what you mean, thank you! I'm going to check out their website when I get a chance. I really like the idea of mental math, although I'm not good at it. I do think my son has the potential of getting it, so I'm thinking of going with it. We shall see! Any little bit of advice is a super-big help to me! Hopefully, I can return the favor some time;) Thanks, again.

Lori