scheduling in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

scheduling in Bigger

Post by LivinNandByHim » Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi ladies, I am thinking of year round homeschooling for the sake of my work, flexibility in scheduling, and keeping the kiddos connected to their learning so hopefully they will retain more...

Bigger is scheduled for 5 days a week, right? I am concerned about breaking up the week's work due to extended weekends or outings mini vacations that interrupt the week or "life" issues that come up. I am concerned about the learning not "flowing and sticking" like it is intended to do. Can anyone comment on this?

Anyone else homeschooling year round and using Bigger?

lmercon

Re: scheduling in Bigger

Post by lmercon » Sun May 29, 2011 8:20 pm

When I began using HOD with Beyond, I was also worried about this. I knew that I wouldn't get to five days of schooling for every week, and was worried about trying to catch up so that I started day 1 every Monday. I will tell you after using HOD for the past three years, it is absolutely no problem AT ALL. I almost never begin the week with day 1. It flows beautifully. We never really notice the break. We just pick right up where we left off. It would seem like it would be problematic, but it really isn't. And this is coming from a self-professed recovering perfectionist!
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

my3sons

Re: scheduling in Bigger

Post by my3sons » Mon May 30, 2011 7:06 pm

lmercon wrote:... I will tell you after using HOD for the past three years, it is absolutely no problem AT ALL. I almost never begin the week with day 1. It flows beautifully. We never really notice the break. We just pick right up where we left off. It would seem like it would be problematic, but it really isn't. And this is coming from a self-professed recovering perfectionist!...
Well said! :D I couldn't agree more. :D We have found the consistency of doing a day's work within a day seems to be enough to keep a routine going. Whether that is 3-5 days a week, or whether there is a summer break or vacation break in the middle, the routine of a day within a day keeps things routine enough. We do strive to complete a guide a year unless one of our dc needed to go half-speed for awhile to grow into the skills of a guide. HOD is sooooo flexible - I think you'll find this to be true in your home too! Happy schooling! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie