Moving from SL to HOD- a bit nervous

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
paminoz

Moving from SL to HOD- a bit nervous

Post by paminoz » Tue May 24, 2011 7:18 am

Hi,

I'm about to start LHFHG with my 5yod and her tag along sister. I've previously homeschooled two boys using Sonlight and a few other bits and pieces, in fact I'm still homeschooling one of them. We've had a lovely experience and have used every year from P3/4 (with the girls) to SL300 in some manner or other.

But HOD seems to supply what I have always felt was missing in our time with SL- exploring the material more fully, opportunities to discuss, with help, what the Bible says about subjects and the systematic but gentle development of skills.

And so I have rearranged our bookshelves in HOD order, even though the books still have the SL Core numbers on their spines. ( I hope the the Preschooler leaves them on the right shelves!) And I'm really looking forward to starting but I'm nervous.

Can someone reassure me that we won't lose what we've loved about Sonlight? The snuggling, the sharing of books, the discovering together, the quality of books?

TIA

Pam in Sydney, Australia

3sweeties

Re: Moving from SL to HOD- a bit nervous

Post by 3sweeties » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Hi Pam and welcome to HOD!!!

We used Sonlight K for my first DS's K year and then SOTW with some of SL Core 1 for his 1st grade year and I have to say that after two years of using HOD (have used 3 programs so far), it has filled in the missing piece of our homeschooling puzzle!!! :D I figured out my oldest DS needed some hands-on activities instead of "just" reading (which he loves to do, btw!) and HOD balances both of those perfectly!!! I just finished half of LHFHG with my second DS for K and will do the other half of it with 1st grade options in the fall. It has been a PERFECT fit for him and he really enjoyed his K year--it was fun, gentle, and allowed him to learn to read incredibly well b/c we were not "rushed" getting through too many read-alouds, which was something I struggled with in my first DS's K year. Anyway, I think you will love HOD and the perfect balance it provides with reading incredible books, hands-on activities, narration, developing independent learning skills and most importantly, the incredible opportunities to teach and talk about God and Jesus with your DC!!! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 pm

paminoz wrote:Can someone reassure me that we won't lose what we've loved about Sonlight? The snuggling, the sharing of books, the discovering together, the quality of books?
We are loving these things with HOD! :D HOD has GREAT bookk choices that we have loved, and I really have enjoyed snuggling up and reading to my kids. My kids especially like the active parts of HOD and having me "play" along with them. We've made great memories. I never would have guessed that homeschooling would be so much fun! We are loving HOD...I don't think you'll be disappointed. :wink: :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

cirons

Post by cirons » Tue May 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Pam!

My name is Corrie and I am in Melbourne...welcome! So great to 'meet' other Aussie HODers!!! You will love HOD and you will definitely enjoy snuggle time with your kids enjoying quality history and story time books, discussing the bible and what it means in their life. We have a special designated 'snuggle lounge' and it is used well with HOD!
Enjoy the journey and feel free to contact me any time with questions....I am doing Beyond and Preparing with my kids right now....

Blessings,

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

This is definitely part of our day with HOD... :D
paminoz wrote:...The snuggling, the sharing of books, the discovering together, the quality of books?
But so is this... :D
paminoz wrote:...exploring the material more fully, opportunities to discuss, with help, what the Bible says about subjects and the systematic but gentle development of skills.
We truly remember each book we have used in HOD because we take our time with them. :D We discuss them, use the Bible with them, do experiments or history projects along with them, have heart to heart devotions with them, do art projects with them, and bit by bit - step by step - we build important skills from year to year so our dc gain confidence in working both alongside us as moms, but also in working independently. :D I truly feel that HOD is keeping our family close-knit, loving learning, and in the Bible. My dc use their own personal Bibles every single day in HOD - I love this. It is a lifelong habit I want to instill. Anyway, for all of these reasons and more, I think you will enjoy HOD so much! If you are interested, here are a few more threads you may enjoy reading...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8268&p=60839#p60839
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8920&p=65267

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

paminoz

Post by paminoz » Wed May 25, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and for the links. I loved the Valentine Day one!

Corrie, I will pm you with a few questions if that's ok? I'm already thinking about how to do Beyond as Australians. We do tend to do more American stuff than most Aussies as my husband is American but I want to do Beyond over two years I think and that plus Bigger and what's in Little Hearts might be too much for us.

Pam

luvschoolin2

Post by luvschoolin2 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Pam,

SL user here...and now HOD LOVER! :wink: My 12th grade daughter is finishing up with SL400, after using SL since 6th grade. She has read a lot of books, but hasn't really interacted with them much. And I had to try and schedule ALL the rest of the subjects to make a 'complete' curriculum----switching things around a LOT to make it feel right. BUT....I have now found HOD, that I am happily using CtC with my 9th grade son. And he LOVES it! I have beefed it up a bit with the SL books we have, but HOD is so enriching and delves so deeply into topics without rushing through. And adding in the Extensions AND DITHOR-----you have SL on steroids!!! Seriously! And if your kids are young, you now have the absolute blessing of having the option of using HOD all the way through high school. DO NOT feel guilty or that you are missing anything. One of my very favorite things about HOD is that i don't need a massive binder to flip through and try to figure out how to suck the meat out of books, and I don't have to reschedule and reschedule things because it moves too fast, AND extra subjects (extracurriculars) are already scheduled. Things I would NEVER be able to schedule or plan myself like art and poetry. I really wish that the high school guides had already been started, like a year ago, because I would switch 100% to HOD for my son for his high school years with NO guilt at all!!! I truly believe HOD is that good and that complete.

Welcome aboard! :D
CtC--9th

paminoz

Post by paminoz » Thu May 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone, that is very encouraging.

I guess it's just a matter of taking the plunge and making adjustments now. I guess I am a bit nervous because what seems great on paper (I mean my idea of using HOD from now on, not the material itself) can sometimes not work because of glitches we cannot foresee. But that's a matter of trusting God.

Off to cook dinner!

Pam

wensuetay

Post by wensuetay » Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi. Just switched from SL that we have used for 3 years to HOD which we have done a week. I switched because I wanted more hands on..and Yes, I too love the SL readers and read alouds. So, now I use SL books for my DITHOR so I have the best of both worlds. Also, many of the SL books are also HOD books. I am happy I made the switch and my 3 boys ages 5,7, and 10 say they like HOD better and that the school day is much shorter. The funny thing here is that the school day is pretty much the same(hours wise) ..they just think HOD is shorter because they are enjoying it more. YAY! Good luck with your decision.
Wendy