2nd grader in Preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rachel

2nd grader in Preparing?

Post by Rachel » Sat May 21, 2011 7:02 am

Hi, I am new to the discussion board. I have used HOD products in the past and am hoping to order DITHOR for this year. In thinking ahead a bit, I am wondering if it would work for my 2nd grader to join in on parts of Preparing with my 4th grader in the future? I would have a separate language arts and math program for her, so it would mainly be the history side I'd like to have her a part of. At least listening in to the stories and narrating them orally. Has anyone tried Preparing for that grade before? I know it depends so much on her skills at that time, but in general is it possible for a 2nd grader to enjoy and confidently do any of the history-based activities in Preparing besides just hearing the books? I know my friend had her 3rd grader join her 5th grader for CTC; that is why I am asking. Also, my children are Canadians so I don't really want to buy Bigger just for my daughter (since I already own Beyond if I want her to repeat some US history; I'd rather she did either Canadian history or world history for now).
Thanks,
Rachel
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

wensuetay

Re: 2nd grader in Preparing?

Post by wensuetay » Sat May 21, 2011 7:46 am

HI. I don't know what the answer is but just wanted to let you know that I plan on putting my 2nd grader in Preparing with my older two boys next year. WE just started bigger and BLHFHG. MY younger son will be young for it but I really want them all together instead of doing two guides and this will be the 2nd yr. for Am. History for us..My little listened in on Am. History this year and now will be listening in again and doing his own in Beyond, so that is what I plan to do and I think as long as it works for your family and you still focus on the little ones math and LA. that it would work out. I have always taught History and Science together for all three of my boys. Good luck.
Wendy
Luke,10
Landon,7(8 in Sept)
Liam5(6 in Dec)He will be 7 when we are doing Preparing:)

leimarie

Post by leimarie » Sat May 21, 2011 10:24 am

Rachel wrote: At least listening in to the stories and narrating them orally. Has anyone tried Preparing for that grade before? I know it depends so much on her skills at that time, but in general is it possible for a 2nd grader to enjoy and confidently do any of the history-based activities in Preparing besides just hearing the books?
From the looks of the full Preparing guide I know that my 2nd grader would certainly not be able to get the value of what the guide is teaching if I placed him with his older brother. You've hit the nail on the head about placement in the appropriate guide depending on skills. In reading through the guides I own I can clearly see the skill-level progression and understand why when Carrie and Julie give placement advice it is pivotal upon each individual child's ability. There is so much more there for them than the narration. Only you can access your child's ability to fully do the activities assigned. Does she have the skills needed to competently participate so that she isn't just riding the side-line?
Lisa
CreativLEI

Evan (Preparing, 5th)
Andrew (Beyond, 3rd)
Francesca (Little Hearts, 2nd)
Mikaela (K)
Nate (busy 3 yo)
Missing our Miranda (9/29-10/27/2011)

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Sat May 21, 2011 4:31 pm

I have read that Carrie began writting this curriculum because she noticed her younger children were being left behind in their schooling. The tendency is to focus on the oldest children, bit our little people are at a critical time in their learning. The beauty of HOD is that no one is ever left out. ;-) Youngers are not above their head anymore. They have a guide that matches where they are personally in their learning and it takes MUCH less time and stress for mom because it just fits them perfectly!! You will have sucess if you take a look at the placement chart for each of your children. :-)

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi Rachel, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D We are glad you are here! :D 2nd graders' really do vary widely in what they need and what skills they possess, so instead of me just trying to give a ballpark answer here, I'd love to know more about each of your dc. As dc can be combined or not combined with HOD, the placement chart is a huge help in deciding which is a better fit for your family. I am wondering how old each of your dc are, and if they just turned those ages or are getting ready for another b-day? :D Also, could you please take a moment to check out the first page of the placement chart and share about each of your dc's reading, writing, math, and grammar? That would help us give you well-informed advice that is more customized to your family. Here is a link to the placement chart:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

We look forward to getting to know you here - I think HOD will be a blessing in your home as it has been in ours over the years! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Rachel,

If you get a chance to pop back and share a bit more about your 2nd grader, we'd love to help you find the best fit for your family. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Tue May 24, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, I think I was being a little premature in trying to find this out already. Actually, I was looking ahead at not this coming school year but the next one. :)
So I have no way yet of knowing what her skills will be! I had thought it might be nice to know a bit more ahead of time if it would even be possible to put the 2 kids together that year in some subjects, just as a general idea. But I see I'll just need to wait and see how God leads as the time is closer.

My ds is 8, almost 9. He will be in grade 3 next year (we used many parts of Beyond along with other curriculum for the last 2 years- in a co-op- including the Emergent Reader's schedule). I plan to order DITHOR for him for the fall (level 2/3). My dd just completed Kindergarten and just turned 6 in April. So when I might try Preparing with my ds, she would be 7yr. 4mo. Too early to tell now what level she'll be at (although at this point she is a great beginning reader). So thanks for your advice; I'll check out the charts more in about a year and see what is best. I do like the idea of meeting her individual needs as much as possible, but for history and science I also would like to do some things, or most of it, together if possible.

Thanks,
Rachel
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

jen_good

Post by jen_good » Tue May 24, 2011 10:38 am

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm planning to do Bigger next year with my ds (will be 3rd grade) and my dd (will be 1st). That will put us in the same position as you for Preparing. I have been wondering how this will work as they get older, but I'm going to see how dd does next year with Bigger. If I don't think she'll be ready for Preparing, then I'll be here looking for advice as well. :D

Jen

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 am

Rachel,

One thing to keep in mind that is different about how HOD designs their guides is that we follow a CM philosophy within our history and our science studies. :D So, while this means that we are using living books as our spines or core readings, it also means that we wind all sorts of skills and needed skill practice as follow-ups to the readings. Rather than just having the history and science be read-alouds that target everyone with open-ended skills that all ages can do, we target the specific skills needed for each age range in each guide, making sure kiddos are formally taught the skills they need in incremental steps. This makes a stronger, more independent learner who is confident and competent in the long-haul and knows how to self-start and work with others as well as on his/her own. This makes placement in our guides very different and makes the skills very important. :D

Here's a thread to read through that deals very much with the things you're pondering right now. So, it may be worth a read. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9344

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed May 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Each child is different and only you know your specific child.

That said, and in my opinion, the short answer is "no." The longer version would be..."not if you want her to actually do more than just listen." Have you ever read Hillyer's Child's History of the World? If not, I would suggest that you give it a go before you attempt it with a 2nd grader. We did the book when my older son was in 4th grade and not only did I have to read it to him, but we often had to simplify some things. There are a lot of names used and it can get confusing even for an older child. My younger son just finished 2nd grade and there is no way he could have done Preparing this year (and he is an advanced...like 7th grade level...reader himself). So, since I only have my own 7 year old 2nd grader to imagine, then "no."
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.