what do you use for health

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sally525

what do you use for health

Post by sally525 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 pm

does anyone use a heath series?

Mom2Monkeys

Re: what do you use for health

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri May 20, 2011 10:26 pm

We don't use a curriculum for health. We just use "life" :) We talk about food choices, hygiene, being active, healthy body image, and the biggers go with me to youngers' doctor visits and listen to my questions and doctors answers about infant and toddler growth and development and nutrition, as well as each other's appointments and learn about child growth. They know about carbs, proteins, and sugar crashes. They know about medicines, medicine safety, vitamins from pills and natural sources, and how they affect us.... I'm not sure what else we "cover" that constitutes as an equivalent to a health course, but daily life just lends itself so well to learning these things all in context instead of a boxed program. I'm sure there are fun online games as well.....my DD used to play a food pyramid one of some sort and probably some others. You could look at a few programs TOC or your state standards (which you'll find may be insanely simple, especially in the youngest grades) and just go over those topics as they arise in the day to day. :)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I used a health book from Rod and Staff last year with my dd. It is called Health for the Glory of God. It filled a gap for us when my dd just wasn't listening about proper body care, cleanliness etc. It helped to hear it from another source other than "mom". Of course it is written from a Mennonite view so there were a few things that we simply skipped over or just talked about the differences that we hold in doctrine, since we are not Mennonite. I am looking forward to the study in RtR designed for the older dc.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sat May 21, 2011 5:38 am

I am either going to use Abeka's Health, Safety, and Manners or Horizons Health.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

sally525

Post by sally525 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:04 am

thanks for the replys! i have 2 boys taht i will be teaching. looked at abeka which i liked the maners part(haha). it was alittle too high for us so checked out horizons wasn't sure what the r&r would intail since it was mennonite.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 am

I think Prudence and the Millers would be good. I thought about getting that just for my DD to read on her own. We still do all the other stuff I mentioned but a good book goes a long way.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 pm

We don't do "health" until high school. Now we use life, books on character, a PBS show on dental health, lots of talking and showing examples, etc. In hs, or a bit lower if needed, we'll do I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, and anything else that fits at that time.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Good ideas! :D CM was a firm believer in dc being outside each day and eating healthily as well. We try to have the boys be outside and physically active every day it is not raining. This in itself has been a great way to teach healthy habits! :D Also, CTC has "Exploring the History of Medicine", "Galen and the Gateway of Medicine", and "An Illustrated Adventure in Human Anatomy". :D My ds learned so much from these books and the follow-up activities, discussions, and experiments he did with them. :) I just thought I'd let you know that is ahead of you. As far as life skills type health, we have loved the book "Life Skills for Kids" by Christine M. Field. As far as puberty and purity discussions, RTR's boy and girl studies are excellent. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Tue May 24, 2011 7:10 pm

We haven't started homeschooling yet but in my state (NE) a health curriculum is required. I had thought I would just use Horizon health but now will be looking into these other options too. Thanks ladies!!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 pm

My ds has enjoyed reading the ABeka Health and Manners books on his own, the are colorful and have fun activities. :D He comes and tells us all about them! I keep him on his grade level in those so he gets the right information and nothing before its time. This year he read the 2nd grade book 2 times. :P :P He has been drinking his water, getting his exercise, flossing his teeth and has been enjoying more healthy foods, since he was not one to like veggies. :( Now he eats sprouted alfalfa and green beans etc. :P :P Other than that the teaching moments occur at any time while we are at home or out in public and I try to nudge the kiddo's gently :lol: into using good manners and godly character traits when they interact with others, especially their siblings :lol:
My kids get plenty of physical exercise year-round since we live in Florida :P As for puberty we are not even close yet, but I have heard great things about the books Carrie recommends in RTR from Mom's on the board. We are not rushing to get to them :oops: :lol:
Success and I hope you find something that works for your family.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Wed May 25, 2011 5:42 am

We live in a state that requires health too and we are using Abeka also. I like it because it doesn't take much time and can be done fairly independently. We tried Horizons in K and it was just way too much teacher prep for me. I think that most health at this stage is covered by life and probably wouldn't choose a curriculum for it if it wasn't required, but since it is for us, I think Abeka offers a nice, simple option. I also agree that in the older guides health can be covered by science and I will just pull out those titles separately and list them for health. :D
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed May 25, 2011 10:02 pm

my3sons wrote:Good ideas! :D CM was a firm believer in dc being outside each day and eating healthily as well. We try to have the boys be outside and physically active every day it is not raining. This in itself has been a great way to teach healthy habits! :D Also, CTC has "Exploring the History of Medicine", "Galen and the Gateway of Medicine", and "An Illustrated Adventure in Human Anatomy". :D My ds learned so much from these books and the follow-up activities, discussions, and experiments he did with them. :) I just thought I'd let you know that is ahead of you. As far as life skills type health, we have loved the book "Life Skills for Kids" by Christine M. Field. As far as puberty and purity discussions, RTR's boy and girl studies are excellent. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie

This is what we do. We attempted to add Health at the very beginning of last year and my boys thought it was just so dumb. In the lower grades, health is basically common sense stuff we teach our kids anyway (eating well, sleeping enough, exercising, drinking water, cleanliness, etc). We stopped after a few weeks and we use "life." My ds just finished CTC and really loved the three books Julie listed. As a matter of fact, he drove me a little batty telling me all the cool stuff his body could do and all the reasons why certain things happened in the bpdy the way they did. It would have been okay during school time...but he loved it so much and read it so intently that he was telling me this stuff as we drove down the road, at the dinner table, at the park, in the middle of walmart...LOL

we look forward to the boy study coming up in RTR this year too! It is so timely because my ds is starting into puberty (at 5'3" tall and wearing a size 9.5 mens shoe)! I am a little scared of what puberty will do to him. LOL He will be wearing a size 22 shoe and be 6'7" tall at this rate (and he is as skinny as a bean pole to boot).
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

KittenBites

Post by KittenBites » Thu May 26, 2011 6:05 pm

I live in a state that requires we teach health and I've been sort of suffering over this because I a. want to teach nutrition b. believe in what is often considered 'alternative' nutrition, c. know the science behind what I believe, BUT d. have a hard time finding the time to pull it all together and design my own curriculum SO I recently found a lady who has already written curriculum for older students ages 12 and up called Real Food, Nutrition & Health and she is supposed to have written or be writing one for younger children, which is what I need. I am just waiting to hear from her to see if it is available yet.
For some background, our family eats little to no processed foods, refined sugars, almost no dairy, almost no grains or beans. If we eat dairy, it is organic and raw. If we eat grains or beans, they are soaked and sprouted first but we eat almost none and any we do are organic. We eat fairly high fat, moderate/high protein, lots of raw vegetables etc. It seemed impossible to find actual curriculum that wasn't all about low fat, grain loaded, dairy full stuff but if anyone is interested, feel free to contact me and I'll give you the website.
I don't yet know the quality of what this lady has to offer but I'm excited to see someone offering something different.

-Stephanie

sally525

Post by sally525 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:54 pm

i'm new here can anyone tell me what CTC is?

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 am

sally525 wrote:i'm new here can anyone tell me what CTC is?
CTC = Creation to Christ HOD program :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D