Happy Handwriting vs. Reason For Handwriting?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
BethB

Happy Handwriting vs. Reason For Handwriting?

Post by BethB » Mon May 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello everybody! I feel like I know you already, since I’ve been reading this board for weeks, but this is my first post. I’m so excited to get to be a part of the HOD family!

Here’s my question... We’re about to buy LHFHG for kindergarten for my daughter, and I’m looking for the least repetitive, most engaging manuscript handwriting program I can find for my little wiggle-worm. She’s already pretty good with her letters, but obviously needs some refining.

Can anyone contrast “Happy Handwriting” with “A Reason For Handwriting” for me? From what I can tell, RFH is pretty much simply practicing letter...letter...letter... I have found zero info on what HH’s program looks like (even on their website.)

Is there anything more to HH than just the requisite copying letter after letter after letter?
Is there something different that makes it especially “Happy?” :wink:

Thanks for any advice!
Beth

holyhart

Re: Happy Handwriting vs. Reason For Handwriting?

Post by holyhart » Mon May 16, 2011 5:15 pm

If you look on homeschool review (dot) com, they have a couple of folks who have reviewed (positively) happy handwritting. It does sound like it is letter by letter though. Not sure how many here have used it as I think most have used ARFH per Carrie's suggestion. :D I do have to say I love the Cheerful Cursive though!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Mon May 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Beth,
I asked the same question a while back, (might have been a different forum, though) and someone emailed me pdf samples that they had received when they contacted the Happy Handwriting people directly. If you PM me your email address, I can send them to you :)
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

shaffer96

Post by shaffer96 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I don't know about Happy Handwriting, but we just finished ARFH today! My dd has been doing LHFHG and she has loved the handwriting book. It has the child do all the uppercase and lowercase letters and on the back of most pages it has a picture to color of something that starts with that letter. My dd has loved coloring those pictures and while she does that I read the history/Bible/devotional to her. I bought ARFH A for next year and it looks great too! The kids actually practice writing parts of a Bible verse each day and then at the end of the week they write the entire verse on a decorative sheet and color the page. They are encouraged to share their handwriting verse page with someone else. If your dd likes coloring I would highly recommend ARFH!
DD 8 - BHFHG
DS 5 1/2 - LHFHG
DS 4 - Enjoying preschool toys and workbooks.

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue May 17, 2011 12:33 am

You could always get A reason for handwriting A if she is past just copying letters. ARFHW A reviews the letters at the beginning and then it goes into words sentences, and verses. My dd just started book A after finishing HWT K and she loves it. AFHW A is scheduled in LHFHG too as the 1st grade option.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

BethB

Post by BethB » Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 am

Thank you all! Based on the samples krismoose provided :D , I believe we're going to go with Happy Handwriting -- it looks like a fun way to get through the inevitable repetition, and I think it will fit my daughter better. I really appreciate everyone's input!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 17, 2011 3:41 pm

I just wanted to welcome you to the HOD Board, and say we are glad you are here! :D I will look forward to getting to know you better - this is a wonderful place to be encouraged. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I have seen HH, they send me samples when I requested samples of CC about 2 years ago and it looks very nice, but a little busy for the younger age. I ended up going with Carrie's recommendation for ARFH K and my ds loved it so much that he was sad when he finished the book. :cry: As I was also enjoying it much and sharing, 3 of his friends ended up choosing ARFH and are loving it as well. Next year I will use ARFH A for him for 1st grade.
Hope this helps and success :D :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.