Singapore question from CHAP for Carrie and/or Julie

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jen_good

Singapore question from CHAP for Carrie and/or Julie

Post by jen_good » Fri May 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi Carrie and Julie,

I wanted to thank you again for the time you spent with us today! It is such a relief to finally know what will we be doing next year :).

I do have another question for you, though. Carrie -- you suggested we use Bigger for both of my kids and then just order Singapore 1A/1B for my daughter. Will I need to order a 1A/B textbook and/or teacher manual for her, in addition to the textbook, since we won't have the instructions for that level in Bigger? Will we miss out by not doing the "Math" box activities from Beyond with her?

Thank you for your help, again!
Jen

my3sons

Re: Singapore question from CHAP for Carrie and/or Julie

Post by my3sons » Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Jen! It was so nice visiting with you and your friend at the CHAP. :D Bigger Hearts has hands-on plans for Singapore Math 2A/2B, and it has a textbook/workbook schedule for Singapore Math 3A/3B in its Appendix. If dd is needing Singapore 1A/1B, you could do one of two things. You could get the Beyond manual for the hands-on math plans for 1A/1B, and then just get the 1A/1B workbooks. Or, you could get the 1A/1B Textbooks and Workbooks and schedule your own pacing to complete them in a year. I'd lean toward getting the Beyond manual, as you will use the whole manual eventually anyway, and putting money toward the Beyond manual instead of toward the textbooks would get you further ahead next year. I would do this because the hands-on math plans are great, but also for ease of use. However, if you would rather not do this, it would not be hard to schedule out 1A/1B on your own, doing approximately a lesson a day and spending about 2 days on longer reviews. HTH, and it was good to see you at the CHAP! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie