Typing/Keyboarding?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SMiles

Typing/Keyboarding?

Post by SMiles » Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 am

Hi,
My dh and I are so happy to hear about the HOD guides going through high school. :D We know at this point that the Lord is showing us His plan for our homeschooling journey. I have found that in the past I have added things (states/capitols, presidents, other art, etc.), but I would rather stay with the work in the guides because I know Carrie has thought through it all and come up with a plan. So, I am wondering if typing is scheduled in any of the guides. We have a cd for the kids to use and it does not honestly add much time to their day, but I guess I am just wondering. :?:

I also have to say that I am happy to NOT have to be researching curriculum every year now for my dc! :P

Blessings,
Sherry

sahervey

Re: Typing/Keyboarding?

Post by sahervey » Wed May 11, 2011 7:17 am

I am adding in an online typing course. I found it at http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/. It's called Dance Mat Typing. I haven't tried any of the lessons myself, but my Kindergartner has. He seems to enjoy it a lot.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

faithful2him

Post by faithful2him » Thu May 12, 2011 8:44 am

While I don't know about typing and HOD inclusion, I will share that last summer I purchased Mavis Beacon Typing at Target for $20. My oldest did it last summer and my middle will do it this summer.

It was inexpensive and seemed to work and was a great summer activity.
Wife for 17 years to a Godly man
Mom of 3 wonderful blessings
Preparing with Extensions (11 year old son)
Beyond 7 1/2 year old son)
Little Hands to Heaven (4 year old daughter)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 am

We also use Mavis Beacon, and the kids do enjoy it. :wink:

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Unless she plans to add into the future guides to my knowledge none of the guides have typing included. I literally just order Typing Instructor for Kids from CBD today. I looked at Mavis Beacon but in the end I liked Typing Instructor a bit better. I have heard wonderful things about Mavis Beacon though. I don't think either of them would be a bad decision :D
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

SMiles

Post by SMiles » Fri May 13, 2011 4:23 am

Thanks, Ladies, for your comments. We have the Typing Instructor and the kids seem to like it, but I was just curious. :)

Have a blessed weekend!

Sherry
Sherry~Married to dh for 19 years!

DS14~Rev2Rev with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~
DD12~CTC with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~

We have used Beyond, Preparing, CTC, and RTR!!