Narrating question with two doing one guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
naturalhomestead

Narrating question with two doing one guide

Post by naturalhomestead » Mon May 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Has anyone had a situation where when the kids narrate back to you on things that one seems to do it more often and then they just feed off of each other? Is that a good thing? I feel like it doesn't really let them think for themselves. Are there any boxes that you would not combine the kids on where they have to narrate back to you?
Jennie
married to dh since 9/11/99
ds 9 ~ Bigger, Singapore 2A, Dithor 2/3, ETC
ds 7.5 ~ Little Hearts, Beyond Right side, Singapore 1B, ER, ETC
dd 5 ~ Little Hearts, TRL, ETC
dd 1 yr ~ just be cute

eazbnsmom

Re: Narrating question with two doing one guide

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue May 10, 2011 6:19 am

What I have my children do is narrate separately. I start with the youngest or the one whose narration skills are not quite as strong and he narrates what he remembers. I do not let the others interrupt but they can add to it when it is their turn. I don't think the feeding off is such a bad thing as it does trigger more memory of what happened in the story, but I have found that it does lead to confusion because then it becomes a competition of who can remember the most and they start talking at the same time. I think the only box where mine are not combined (besides language arts and math) is reading and of course narrations are different because they are reading different books.

Hope this helps
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

my3sons

Re: Narrating question with two doing one guide

Post by my3sons » Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Good question! :D Kay had some great thoughts here already! I agree, I think that it could turn into a competition or else a coping mechanism. Here's a link describing a neat CM technique for this...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8160&p=59469

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie