choosing between emerging reader and draw into heart of read

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kimwhite

choosing between emerging reader and draw into heart of read

Post by kimwhite » Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 pm

OK. .. We have pretty much decided to go with HOD for my 1st grade daughter. My problem is now figuring out whether to place her as an emerging reader or jump into the Drawn into the Heart of Reading workbook. She is an advanced reader and has started reading chapter books over the past 2 - 3 months. She took an on-line reading assessment that placed her at 5th grade reading level, but that only used vocabulary words to assess her level. Her comprehension level is not at 5th grade. I reviewed the books she would be using for both emerging and the level 2 book pack for DIHOR. . and right now she is reading books that are on the bottom of the emerging reader list. . . What I planned to do was check out books from the next level up and just see about her comprehension. .. but I guess I'm wanting some advice or feedback on how other people made the decision about this issue. I want to challenge her while also not getting something that is too advanced. She is currently finishing up her kindergarten year. Thank you!!

mom24boys

Re: choosing between emerging reader and draw into heart of read

Post by mom24boys » Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 pm

It was suggested to me that you can start in the middle of the Emerging Reader schedule. So if you think she is past Frog and Toad and is now closer to Prairie Primer, then just start her there and continue forward. I think giving it a try is the right way to go to make the decision. Even though my son is a very good reader, it took a little while for him to get the hang of the questions since they aren't just knowledge questions but also synthesis, comprehension, and narration. I think growing into the questions is an important step before tackling DITHOR.
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon May 09, 2011 2:55 pm

i would not place a first grader into DTHR unless she is advanced in writing, and comprehension skills as well. I would probably start her mid way through the ER, and add in some of the supplementary titles to stretch it out. My ds loved all the ER's that were historical. He also read many of the supplemental titles. I really felt like the ER along with the questions really helped my ds with comprehension, and fluency.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

solagratia824

Post by solagratia824 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm

I was wondering about this as well.

My kindergarten son is in the last third of the ERs right now, and thriving. So I ordered DITHOR and the 2/3 student book for next school year. But when I looked at the DITHOR material, I wasn't sure it would work for us for 1st grade... not because he couldn't do the reading, but because I wasn't sure if he was really ready for the activities in the DITHOR manual. I suppose a lot could happen between now and September, but I wondered what my options would be if he finished the ERs (and all the supplementary books as well - we have been reading them as they are listed in the Beyond manual).

What do you do with a young but advanced reader... one who has completed the ERs, but seems not quite ready for DITHOR? Would you start them in DITHOR at a slow pace? Would you just read the books from the DITHOR Level 2 book pack/suggested title list without doing all the DITHOR activities? Or, do you think that any child who has completed all of the ERs successfully would be ready for DITHOR, regardless of age?

Curious what others have experienced.
Camden

Homeschooling mama to...
ds 1st (Beyond)
dd preschool (LHTH)

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Mon May 09, 2011 6:12 pm

If it were me, I would not have a 1st-grader doing DITHOR just yet. I think there are many comprehension and writing activities that would be too difficult. I would have them just reading to me daily. If they are beyond the emerging readers, I would maybe get the level 2 or level 3 book pack from DITHOR and just have them read the books (like the pp suggested). :) I'm curious what others say about this too.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 pm

I think there are a couple of options that I've heard others do. One would be to use the level 2 books and just have the dc read those to you. You could always try to ask a question or two at the end of each reading or ask for a brief narration like is done with the emerging readers. Another option would be to do DITHR with the level 2/3, but instead of having the dc write in the DITHR book, you would write in the book for him. As the year progresses and the dc can write easier then you could write his answers on a marker board or other piece of paper then have him copy it in the workbook. You could gradually work up to having him write in the workbook. First grade is a bit young for DITHR and I believe it is recommended for 2nd grade and up so I would tend to go for the first option. You know your child best though and know if perhaps they might be ready for the greater challenge of DITHR. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm

My little guy is in a similar place as your DD. He just turned 6 and is finishing up K and just in the past month has taken OFF with reading!!! :D I tested his reading level today and it was at least at 3rd grade!!! He read a beginning chapter book today during quiet reading time and finished it on his own!!! :shock: All that to say, I am still going to buy the Emerging Readers set for him for 1st grade and have him read through them with the questions, etc. for the very reasons pp's have mentioned: comprehension and fluency. I did DITHOR level 2 with my oldest DS for 2nd grade and it was the perfect age for him(he is also an advanced reader). HTH a little!!! :D
Last edited by 3sweeties on Mon May 09, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 09, 2011 8:07 pm

I would have a 6 turning 7 yo go through the Emerging Reader's Set of books for the skills the comprehension questions teach. I thought these were some wise words mom24boys shared...

Even though my son is a very good reader, it took a little while for him to get the hang of the questions since they aren't just knowledge questions but also synthesis, comprehension, and narration. I think growing into the questions is an important step before tackling DITHOR.

As well as twoxcell's words...
I really felt like the ER along with the questions really helped my ds with comprehension, and fluency.

I think 7 yo is the youngest age I would begin doing DITHOR fully, and then only if that 7 yo had been through the ERS and its questions first. :D Using the supplemental ERS titles and paralleling questions after those written for the ERS titles for the supplemental books would be excellent preparation for DITHOR. Sara and Patty's ideas were excellent too. If 6 yo dc have read all of the ERS titles, done all of the questions along with the books, and read a good portion of the ERS supplementary titles, then getting the DITHOR Level 2 books, and reading them slowly 2-4 pages each day, and asking some questions after the readings patterned after the ERS questions would be a good idea. When a child is at least 7 yo, and you think a child's reading comprehension skills are strong enough, and when a child is able to write at least several sentences without difficulty each day, then they could begin DITHOR Level 2/3. At that point, you can help them ease into it by writing some of if for them. :D

To be honest, one of my sons was reading "Little House on the Prairie" quite easily when I began him in the Emerging Reader's Set. He had the skill of reading words on a page down very well, but his reading comprehension skills needed to be fine-tuned and more fully developed. His writing skills did too. He needed these skills intact before beginning DITHOR. We enjoyed all of the ERS immensely. It was a blessing to see him learn to love reading the Bible and learning Its stories better and better within. It was fun to see him laugh his way through "Owl at Home", "Frog and Toad", and "Amelia Bedelia". It was neat to see his compassion for the characters in "Prairie School". He marveled at the bravery of the Muldie boys in "Wagon Wheels" and of Sarah in "The Courage of Sarah Noble". He loved the Bill Cody's adventures in "Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express" and the dangerous flights of the Wright brothers in "First Flight". He couldn't wait to learn more about animals in "Christian Liberty Nature Reader", and the bear on Hemlock mountain had him wishing that boy would just get his pot from his aunt and get home. Wild animals and wild storms in "Animal Adventures" and "Tornado" ended up to be real page turners. There just is not a bad book in the bunch. The ERS is such a delight, that even dc who read words well early should still get to enjoy them. With the varied genres represented in the ERS, and the high level of questions asked after each reading, they are an excellent way to make sure dc are truly ready for DITHOR. We wouldn't have missed them for the world. :D I can read at a college level, but that doesn't mean I want to read at it all of the time. If dc are 6 yo, they deserve to enjoy the ERS! DITHOR will be waiting for them for the next 7 years... DITHOR IS great... but it's worth the wait. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Thank you for posting this question!! I don't have an answer for you because we are in the exact same situation with my DD. :) She is also a very advanced reader. And thanks to all who answered. I will go through the ER with my DD too! Actually she keeps talking about homeschool now and wants to start right away. (She has 7 days of ps kindergarten left). Once we order and get our books I don't know how I'm going to keep her out of them! Maybe we'll do the ER set during the summer! Thanks!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

BrooklynsMom03

Post by BrooklynsMom03 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Julie what a great way to explain this! We have not done DITHOR...my daughter is 8...we are doing Beyond with our first year of homeschooling...I am only chiming in on this...because my daughter is not an advanced reader...yet when I saw the books for ER I was like ...really these look so young...yet that is where my daughter was...we are now half way thru the guide..and she is LOVING reading...her skills have grown amazingly fast....I have marveled with her comprehension...and how it has grown...today she picked up a library book she had checked out and finished reading it while waiting until it was time to go to swimming....when she finished it she exclaimed....I JUST LOVE READING!!....I am so glad I didnt push her or keep her at the highest level she could possible read at....but instead...just let her settle into the ER books....and ENJOY them...and by doing that her skills grew in other areas...and now she is reading very well....and loving every minute of it! I have to admit at first I was nervous...because she was a bit old I thought for Beyond...and I had thought of Bigger...and DITHOR....I didnt want to *waste* a year...yet now I see....had I done that...we would have certainly have *wasted* the year because it would have been a struggle....and I wouldnt have got to experience the enjoyment of watching my daughter blossom into not only an accomplished reader...but totally understanding what she is reading...retaining information was not a strong suit for her when we first started...this year...but now....because she has not felt stressed...she has grown...and we laugh often thru school....isn't that the way it should be?!! Beth in Idaho
Married 25 yrs on June 14
Two sons Chad and Jared both have graduated from college
Blessed with daughter
Now...8 ....starting BHFHG Oct 1...
2nd year of home schooling...

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks, Beth! :D
BrooklynsMom03 wrote:...she has not felt stressed...she has grown...and we laugh often thru school....isn't that the way it should be?!!
Oh yes, that is the way school should be! Laughing through school - what a delight and a joy for you and your dd! I'm so glad you made the decision to enjoy Beyond with her. :D What a great year that has give you and your dd - such a blessing. Thanks for sharing this - it made my night.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

kimwhite

Post by kimwhite » Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 am

Wow! I'm overwhelmed with the amount of feedback and advice to my question! What wonderful support. I think these were all excellent points made and I think you all are right about just helping her develop comprehension and fluency with the ER and then see what happens! I can always supplement. . . so wonderful to know there is support out there as we move into 1st grade! Can't say enough about how good this makes me feel about deciding to go with HOD. . . Thanks everyone!