OT- Question?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holyhart

OT- Question?

Post by holyhart » Sat May 07, 2011 5:05 am

My dd's birthday is coming up soon (she will be 8) and I would like to get her a new bible. She still reads out of her bible from the ER set, but she would like one that is a little more grown up looking ("one that's not just stories" she said, I read to her from mine so she does know the difference). I don't think she is ready for a real bible either as her reading skills are not quite there yet. However, I would like one that she could use for a couple of years though at least. A few pictures here and there might be nice. I'm not super picky about translation. I read NKJV and my hubby reads NLT. We memorize many scriptures from NIV with the HOD cd's, so we are a bit eclectic in translation as you can see.

Do any of you have bibles that you've bought for your children that you've liked and that they can still grow with for a few years but isn't over their head in reading level?

Any help would be appreciated! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

3sweeties

Re: OT- Question?

Post by 3sweeties » Sat May 07, 2011 6:46 am

The Adventure Bible -- it is in the NIV translation and is the one my church recommends for elementary age children. My DS has enjoyed it! HTH!!! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Sat May 07, 2011 6:52 am

We just got the ESV Seek & Find Bible for our (almost) 7 yr old DD. It has a few pictures, the type size is bigger than most. She really likes it!! That's exactly what she said too, that she wanted a "real" Bible and not just a story Bible. Anyway, I think this one says for ages 5-9.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

krains

Post by krains » Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 am

I go my DD's (7 and 8) the NIrV Beginner's Bible. It was a good choice for them.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 am

Kelly, I recently got Bibles for my dc and gave them to them Easter. They were really excited! Actually my ds has decided to read the Bible in order from the beginning. I think he is still in Genesis, but he is making steady progress. :D I ended up getting the Kids thinline NIV but they are both reading really well and I thought they could handle this translation that is about a 7th grade level. Here is a post where I asked a similar question and my reasons for why I got the ones that I did: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8387&p=61991#p61991 After doing much research if I had it all to do over, I would have gotten them a NIrV several years ago. That translation is about a 3rd grade level and I think would have been a good one for them for several years. Here's a nice little blurb about Bible translations and their reading levels: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... 521|104481 There are lots of fun Bibles in the various translations like the Adventure Bible in both NIV and NIrV. I think if I had gotten by dc a Bible a few years ago I would have gone with one of the NIrV Adventure Bibles. NKJV also has an Explorer Bible that looks fun if you want to go with that translation. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat May 07, 2011 1:31 pm

My son got this one for his birthday last month. http://www.rainbowchristianstore.com/pr ... 0310721246 We chose NIV since that's what HOD uses. He isn't reading it on his own yet, but he loves being able to look up Scripture and have me read from "his" Bible. He also likes all the commentary that goes with it. IDK if they have a girl version.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sun May 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I would not get the NIRV. It is for early readers but there are some poor, graphic choices of words. My son came asking me about *** one day and it came from his Bible! :oops: I wish I had looked over it more throughly. After reading it to my dh we threw it away and gave him a different version. He was reading in Ezekiel. I think it was ch. 28?
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.