Spelling

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3luvs

Spelling

Post by my3luvs » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:15 pm

How does spelling work with HOD? Do I need to purchase a separate spelling program?
Karen
Starting our first year at home with HOD-PHFHG [July], mom to DD [9] and DD [5] LHFHG, DS [1/19/99-11/21/03]
http://hitchenacademy.blogspot.com

kvmck

Re: Spelling

Post by kvmck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 pm

No, you don't need to buy a separate spelling program. I copied this from the website--

"For spelling, students focus on learning to spell a basic body of frequently used words. Next, they move on to studied dictation to cement their spelling skills.

As students become more confident spellers, they are guided to complete short, purposeful writing assignments. For the purpose of improving writing, students begin to receive a solid introduction to grammar, mechanics, and usage. Vocabulary study is addressed in our literature program and later along with our history and science topics."

When we first started with Beyond we chose to do the spelling words (they are in the appendix of the TM) and now with Bigger and Preparing my kids are doing dictation which is provided in the TM.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

my3sons

Re: Spelling

Post by my3sons » Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Kristen answered so well here, that I am just agreeing with her! :D I'll add that my oldest ds had speech delays and several years of speech therapy. As you can imagine, spelling was not naturally his thing. We have done HOD's spelling through the years, and have been excited to see his spelling skills grow... and grow... and grow. :D Now he just finished Level 5 Dictation in RTR, and he rarely makes spelling errors in his writing. His standardized testing scores have gradually climbed in this area over the years as well, and now they say he is very advanced in this area. If you had told me this would happen years back when my little guy was slogging his way through speech therapy, I would not have believed this was possible. Thanks HOD - you've made a good speller out of my ds after all, and I'm so thankful! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie