New and Deciding

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bayjakeandus

New and Deciding

Post by bayjakeandus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:46 am

Hi all. I am trying to decide on the right curriculum for our 12 yr-old son for next year (7th grade). I have read great reviews about Heart of Dakota and really love that you have a message board for support.

My main question is would it be alright to start him at Creation to Christ? When reading through the descriptions it looks like it is information I wouldn't want him to miss out on. However, Resurrection to Reformation seems to be more his suggested age/grade level. We have been previously using A Beka curriculum and desire a change. I am worried about switching to a new curriculum and making a choice that might be the wrong level or that he might feel lost because he didn't do the years leading up to it. He excels in most subjects but struggles with language.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks so much,
Michelle

inHistiming

Re: New and Deciding

Post by inHistiming » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:03 am

Have you checked out the placement chart yet? it is usually a great help in figuring out where your child would fit best. Here's a link:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

There are extensions available too (for all the guides beginning with Bigger....), if you think you want the content in CTC but need a little boost in difficulty. :wink:

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Have you seen this thread?
It's a sticky at the top of the board regarding using upper level guides for junior high or high school.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6571

There are threads about CtC within the thread. :D
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 pm

If you get a chance to share with us where your son fits on the first page of the placement chart linked above, then we'll have a common ground in which to begin finding the best placement for your son. :D If you're able to take the history cyle out of the equation and purely focus on where he fits skill-wise, then we'll have a better assessment and guide to talk about options. :D Feel free to pop back and share your thoughts, and we can dialogue more! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

bayjakeandus

Post by bayjakeandus » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks for the responses. After carefully reading the placement chart I believe he best fits in the Creation to Christ description. Although he reads and understands difficult chapter books well he hasn't formally studied literature. He also has just begun diagramming.

Thanks again for responding it helped me to take a better look at the placement chart. I feel more comfortable with the idea of starting in Creation to Christ.

-- Michelle :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I just wanted to say "Hi!" and welcome to the HOD Board! :D I think your ds will really enjoy CTC - mine sure did! I actually felt so blessed to be able to learn Biblical and world history for the ancients right alongside one another myself, as the Lord was always taken out of it in my ps experience. The meshing of the two was truly educational for the both of us! Here is a link to the CTC Photobook, just so you get a sneak peek at what your ds will get to do...
http://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/31

Be sure to share your box day with us here - we like to help you celebrate! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie