OT - Standardized Testing Issue

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

OT - Standardized Testing Issue

Post by daybreaking » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:51 am

Okay, I know I'm in the midst of PMS, but I feel like crying. My ds is doing his standardized testing this week using the SAT-10. I've been able to be the proctor, so have been checking his work as he goes along. Overall, he's done well and I think his scores will be good, but I just don't know how to keep him from making mistakes he shouldn't be making on material he knows. To give an example, on the math problem solving section, he should have scored a perfect score, based on the questions and his background; however, he missed 3 out of 40 and the three he missed were very easy ones. I know I can't share questions from the test, so I'll paraphrase. One of them had to do with ordering three numbers from largest to smallest. He knows this like the back of his hand and pretty much always does this correctly when we've encountered it in Singapore, and yet today he answered along the lines of 286, 42, 105. For another, he went right instead of left, despite knowing left and right since he was 2! The last missed one related to telling how many 1/2's were in a whole number, another topic he has been doing quite successfully for years. I want his scores to reflect his ability and his knowledge and I don't know how to help him in this area. When I saw him make the last mistake, I set the test booklet aside and gave a little talk about focusing and listening to the whole question. That seemed to help, as he didn't miss any in the math section after that. I could use the excuse that he's getting over a cold or that we had a full Easter weekend and just traveled back from Maryland yesterday or that I had him do the math right after several reading and other LA areas, but truthfully, I'm not sure if any of these had an impact as this isn't the first time I've observed this. If he missed ones he truly didn't know, I'd feel much better; I'm just disappointed that he would miss ones he does indeed know, especially when he did well on harder ones. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what are some test taking strategies I can use to help him? We have two more days to go and I'd love to go in tomorrow better equipped. Thank you again, dear ladies!

On a side note, I will say that HOD has prepared him well overall, as I believe he got a perfect (or near perfect) score on all areas related to reading/comprehension/understanding. :D

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

8arrows

Re: OT - Standardized Testing Issue

Post by 8arrows » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:03 pm

This is why I don't give my children the test. My mother does, and everyone knows that they could miss every one on the test and their grandmother would still think they were the brightest thing out there. Children are going to be children. They WILL miss things they know. It sounds like he is doing great!!!!! I wouldn't worry. I often shake my head during the day at the things they miss in everyday school. At that point we just correct them and don't think about it, because overall they DO know it. However, you can't just correct it on the test!!!!!!! Frustrating, I understand. I don't think you need to do anything differently. Congratulations on a job well done! He sounds like a smart cookie.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:07 pm

I agree, it sounds as if he is soaring! I also get frustrated with the apparent absent-mindedness of my children.....but I get that way sometimes, too. I'm sure his score will be great. I wouldn't try to do anything differently except maybe encourage him to take his time and read everything/listen carefully. :wink:

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:42 pm

I agree with what the other ladies have shared. My dc do the same thing. They either aren't focused enough or are in too big of a hurry. I really don't know what causes it, but they miss things they know well. I think the best thing is to make sure that he is well rested. An encouraging talk about maintaining focus might help, but honestly I think we all sometimes just loose focus and don't perform optimally. You shared several reasons of why he might not be focused today so I would just try to make sure he gets in bed at a reasonable time tonight and has a good breakfast in the morning. Pray with him in the morning and encourage him to do his best then leave it in the hands of the Lord. It sounds like he is doing wonderfully so don't be discouraged at all. Rejoice! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Thank you, ladies, so much. How encouraging to read your kind replies. This HOD board is such an incredible blessing to me and I'm so thankful for the support and encouragement you all provide. :)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17