Beyond at half-speed? Anyone else done this?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sw1ssm1ss

Beyond at half-speed? Anyone else done this?

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Due to a variety of factors, especially illness then morning sickness on my part and a one day a week co-op, we are only on Unit 14 of Beyond. We are really enjoying Beyond and don't want to rush through it. We got through LHFHG last year in part by skipping things if we didn't have time for them, and I really think that was a mistake. Part of our situation is that we are doing a half day alternating with a full day. So we really only get three days done per week.

My husband and I have decided this is probably fine. Everything we are doing is at her level, so it doesn't feel like she is being held back by our pacing. The only exception to this is math. We are doing Singapore 1 and it's very easy for her. I think she is just blessed with a mind that intuitively grasps math without much explanation. I would feel pretty bad if she was doing math at a slower pace because of planning/illness/pregnancy on my part, so a few weeks ago we decided to double up on math lessons to try to finish "first grade" math by August. It's been no problem for her.

Anyway, overall, I think it will be okay to continue this pace and continue with Beyond through the summer and the next school. I do worry a *bit* that she will feel frustrated that we are not moving on, but we may add a few things next year. Obviously, there will be 2nd grade math, which we will do every day and not skip at all. Also, I'm thinking about using audio books for Storytime, since we will most likely being driving 30 minutes on a daily basis (long story), and adding a foreign language (Latin or Spanish) that uses the computer or a DVD. (I will have a newborn in late September or early October, so something that isn't totally dependent on me could give her something to do.)

What I'm really wondering is - for those of you that have done half-speed - how has it worked out in the long run?
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

sw1ssm1ss

Re: Beyond at half-speed? Anyone else done this?

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

I can't believe I forgot to say this the first time, but we would also be adding DITHOR next year. She has made leaps and bounds with reading this year and the emerging readers pack definitely would not last us another year. :mrgreen:
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

my3sons

Re: Beyond at half-speed? Anyone else done this?

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

We have done half-speed before with guides, and found that to be good fit for a time. :D It is a really nice option to have! :) I wouldn't do half-speed every year, year after year, though, but rather to ease into a guide, or to help through a difficult time such as a health concern, etc.. I think you did some great reflecting when you said "We got through LHFHG last year in part by skipping things if we didn't have time for them, and I really think that was a mistake". Reflecting is hard to do, but I try to do that after each school year. I'm so glad you are wisely taking the time to do that too! I think it is better by far to go half-speed and do all of the plans than to go full-speed and skip things. The skills in each of the boxes are important to have before moving on to the next guide. If dc have skipped things, they are often unprepared for the the next level of that skill in the following guide. For a season, slowing school down to half-speed is absolutely fine. Once you are past your morning sickness or have had your baby and are back to a more normal life though, you will probably want to eventually return to full-speed as this continuity will benefit your dd and move her along in her skills more. At least doing school 4 days a week full-speed eventually is a good goal to shoot for down the road. :) I know we have chosen not to be a part of co-op and have stopped adding extras to the day, in order to truly have the time we need to homeschool each day. It has brought peace to our home. However, I also know all families are different! If you are finding something is preventing you from being able to homeschool a complete day of school each day year after year though, it's good to consider what is preventing that, and what can be done to fix it, or this scenario will play itself out year after year, and make for one stressed out mama over time. For now, half-speed Beyond with full-speed math and DITHOR sounds just fine. For the future, you'll know best! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie