placement 13 yo 1st time HS

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

placement 13 yo 1st time HS

Post by LivinNandByHim » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 am

In reviewing the placement chart, I am having trouble trying to place my niece in an appropriate spot. She is 13. Will be in 8th grade. Never homeschooled before. So, never introduced to dictation / narration and may not be able to fit with Singapore's way of doing math. She is very bright and has a strong willed, independent side. She does well in school on her grade level. I think RTR would best fit, but I am wondering if an extension pack for CTC would work better since she has never done HS before. Also because of the jump into RTR's time period without any leading introduction. What other things might I consider in order to decide best placement? She is definitely not the old fashioned focus, so I don't know if she would be able to relate to Beautiful Girlhood , but I would LOVE to give her this more conservative outlook on being a godly young woman. Also, if circumstances evolve, this could be the only year she would homeschool because of a potential future custody change. (She is now in my custody, but may eventually return to her mother's home.) So there is a concern about the culture shock and returning to ps for high school. Any thoughts ?

pjdobro

Re: placement 13 yo 1st time HS

Post by pjdobro » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:44 am

I'm not really for sure since we're not to those guides yet. Carrie often says to really pay attention to the first page of the placement chart when placing dc. So I would really look at her reading level, her writing ability, her grammar exposure, and reasoning/thinking skills. I would also try to consider how well she can work independently and follow directions on her own. I pray that you can find the right program for your niece and be able to impact her heart during this year. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:26 am

Hi,

I think skill wise if she fits in RTR or even Rev to Rev I would go with it. I understand your hesitancy, but I'm thinking (if she's a strong student) she'll be more engaged by books that look and feel more her age. And that will be one less battle for you :wink: . This will also keep the science level up and on track in the event she returns to public school. However, if YOU really want her to do CTC then do that. I imagine school will be the secondary issue, so just go with what God leads you to do. The level of dictation and the math is not pertinent to the guide, since you begin where the child places. The only challenge there may be is she's needing a level of dictation that's not in the guide you select.

On a more personal note, how very blessed she is (and you are) to have the opportunity to do this. May God's wisdom guide you.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:14 pm

The ladies gave such good advice already. I would lean in the direction that they shared too! :D As far as Beautiful Girlhood goes, sometimes being exposed to a conservative view of womanhood (even if it does seem in direct opposition to what your niece may have been exposed to so far), can really show another side that although shockingly conservative makes a girl look differently at the world around her ever after. :D It presents a stark contrast to what the world offers and shows her what God desires for womanhood to be. :D It may not be easy to go through with her, and she may really resist, but it is still good to hear and discuss.

If you have other questions, ask away. We're glad to help!

Blessings,
Carrie