Seriously considering adding a guide for next year. . .

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Fisherman's Wife

Seriously considering adding a guide for next year. . .

Post by Fisherman's Wife » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Am I completely crazy? I keep seeing others doing 3 guides and I keep wondering if I should. I have my dd turning 5 doing LHFHG and I was going to combine my 7 and 8 yo in Bigger, though they are pretty far apart academically. I know my 7 yo would love Beyond, but is that even doable? I know they discourage using back to back guides, but I don't know if it will be feasible in the future for me anyway with dc so close in age and ability level.
Blessings, Marie

Plans for 2011/ 2012 School Year

DS 8th, DD 7th, DD 5th, a mixture of CLE and BJU
DD 3rd- Bigger + CLE Math and LA
DD 1st- Beyond + CLE Math and LA
DD K- LHFHG + CLE Phonics and BJU Math K
DS 2- Rasing havoc

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Seriously considering adding a guide for next year. . .

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Three guides is quite doable! BUT, do you really want to do each guide from Bigger and up three years in a row? Have you considered combining the 7 and 8 in Beyond and then move them to Bigger after that when they are 8 and 9? They are still in the age range for that and them you can still combine them, and if the older needed more at some point, there are extensions starting in Bigger. If you needed dictation for the older while in Beyond, you could use the Bigger guide for that (and perhaps the cursive, grammar, and math plans as well). If that's something you'd like to consider, we can all help you work out the details!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I was supposed to be doing three guides. There are several who do it and do it well. Sadly, I was unable to stay consistent with it and dropped the one for my youngest for a while. :? I am just now thinking of picking back up with him, but I'm not sure quite how I want to do it. Anyway, if you can create a plan and stick with it I am sure it is completely doable. If you have a tough time doing that (as I do :oops: ) then it may be best to avoid a third guide. I'm sure others will chime in and let you know their thoughts. In any case, you will absolutely love the learning in HOD....all of the books are amazing!

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I am currently doing Beyond with my son for 1st grade (7 last October)
LHFHG for K with daughter (turned 6 last month) and just started LHTH with 3 yr old. and have 5 week old
Last week was our first week back after having had our 4th child. i was so excited to see that i could do it even with a newborn. thank the Lord.
I think it is completely doable. May depend on what else is going on in your life and definitely have to be a diligent mom to stay on task ( i speak from learning experience and NOT staying on task)
the older 2 are 16 months apart and academically i just couldn't see putting them together in the same program and b/c of their personalites. Beyond and LHFHG fit them both so well right where they are now. i don't mind doing back to back guides.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 am

I would definately keep a 7 and 8 year old together. You will save yourself a lot of work for years to come.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Fisherman's Wife

Post by Fisherman's Wife » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for the replies. I know it seems like it makes more sense to combine but it always someone is over challenged or underchalleged. We have been doing MFW for 2 years and it just isn't working meeting all the ages. However, there are alot of ages to cover. I don't know. In an ideal world, I'd do separate guides for all of them, but then there is reality. We will see. I am praying about it.
Blessings, Marie

DS 2- Rasing havoc

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am

I understand what you are talking about with being close in age but academically too far apart for combining to be in their best interest. My oldest two are only 18 months apart. I combined them for the beginning years. I finally realized I was not challenging the oldest while over challenging the second. I split them up half way through Bigger. I had the oldest continue at full pace and the second stayed in Bigger but at half pace (one unit in two weeks). Now the oldest is 2 units from finishing Preparing and the second is doing Preparing half pace and is on Unit 6. School is soooo much better. Both of my boys are placed exactly right. I am doing back to back manuals. I could not get around it to meet my boys needs. I am enjoying it because the information is fresh in my memory. Also the discussion are unqiue to each of my children. I am very happy I uncombined by boys. I get more done in the same amount of time. I am actually doing 4 manuals now. It takes about 4-5 hrs. Not too bad if you ask me. If you have any other questions let me know. I apologize for the poor grammar I wanted to respond but am in a hurry to get lunch made....(its what I get for checking in with only a few minutes) :oops:
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Fisherman's Wife

Post by Fisherman's Wife » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 pm

mskogen wrote:I understand what you are talking about with being close in age but academically too far apart for combining to be in their best interest. My oldest two are only 18 months apart. I combined them for the beginning years. I finally realized I was not challenging the oldest while over challenging the second. I split them up half way through Bigger. I had the oldest continue at full pace and the second stayed in Bigger but at half pace (one unit in two weeks). Now the oldest is 2 units from finishing Preparing and the second is doing Preparing half pace and is on Unit 6. School is soooo much better. Both of my boys are placed exactly right. I am doing back to back manuals. I could not get around it to meet my boys needs. I am enjoying it because the information is fresh in my memory. Also the discussion are unqiue to each of my children. I am very happy I uncombined by boys. I get more done in the same amount of time. I am actually doing 4 manuals now. It takes about 4-5 hrs. Not too bad if you ask me. If you have any other questions let me know. I apologize for the poor grammar I wanted to respond but am in a hurry to get lunch made....(its what I get for checking in with only a few minutes) :oops:

Oh wow, this is so encouraging. Thanks so much. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.
Blessings, Marie

DS 2- Rasing havoc

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 am

I un-combined my middle two after Christmas last year.... luckily with their ages and guides it was easy to just start them at the beginning of each guide. I will be using Bigger, Beyond, and LHFHG together for a couple of months next fall before I will have one beginning Preparing in January, on in the middle of Beyond in January, and one near the beginning of LHFHG half speed in January :) The lessons are so short and so much fun (even if your child doesn't like one aspect of it, there's always SOMETHING they like) and it's really not a problem doing them back to back or overlapping. School takes so much less time now than it did while they were combined.

Fisherman's Wife

Post by Fisherman's Wife » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:I un-combined my middle two after Christmas last year.... luckily with their ages and guides it was easy to just start them at the beginning of each guide. I will be using Bigger, Beyond, and LHFHG together for a couple of months next fall before I will have one beginning Preparing in January, on in the middle of Beyond in January, and one near the beginning of LHFHG half speed in January :) The lessons are so short and so much fun (even if your child doesn't like one aspect of it, there's always SOMETHING they like) and it's really not a problem doing them back to back or overlapping. School takes so much less time now than it did while they were combined.

Oh this is so encouraging. Thanks so much. I am about to take the plunge and buy the third guide. Just trying to find out about free shipping. Thanks again for letting me know that I am not crazy. :wink:
Blessings, Marie

DS 2- Rasing havoc

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:14 pm

We are enjoying doing 3 guides, and we find it doable, but I only have 3 dc. I do think the size of a family is an important consideration (the sheer volume of time needed for teaching all the levels of LA and math for one thing), and I think if there is a baby/toddler in the mix, that is an important consideration as well. I am thinking that you have 7 dc, according to your signature, and that in addition to the HOD guides you'd be teaching, you have 3 older dc to teach as well? Please correct me if I've misunderstood something there. I think balance for all of us is important, as the big goal is for all of us to happily keep homeschooling in the day to day for the long haul. Could you please share the ages of your dc and what HOD guides they have done or where they each place best? Also, how much time do you need to work with your older 3 dc each day? Doing 3 guides is possible. Doing back to back guides is possible. But I'm not sure teaching 3 older dc something else, caring for a little 2 yo raising havoc (which I TOTALLY get BTW :lol: ), and teaching 3 guides is advisable. Please do tell more... pretty please... I want to be sure this is a wonderful year for you! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie