Beyond Little Hearts in 4 Day??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hobandrolly

Beyond Little Hearts in 4 Day??

Post by hobandrolly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi all~

I have a quick question for you all~is it possible without losing a good flow of the program to do Beyond Little Hearts in 4 days? My older twins will be doing Preparing and I thought it would be nice to condense Beyond down to 4 days too. If it would make it chaotic and totally ruin the flow, than I'd rather stick to 5 days. Any thoughts for those who have done Beyond already? Thanks in advance! ~Holly
For 2012~2013 school year:
Gracie (5): Kindergarten
Maely (8): Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Annie/Lynnie (10): Creation to Christ
Second year with Heart of Dakota and loving it!

tnahid

Re: Beyond Little Hearts in 4 Day??

Post by tnahid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I do Beyond is 4 days and it works for us. Sometimes, I combine day 4 and 5 on Thursday. This may not be the greatest thing to do, but I find that it works for us generally. If not, I just do Day 5 on Mondays to start off and the go on into Day 1. It really depends on your preference, but I don't feel we lose out on anything doing it this way. It is going to probably take us a bit longer to be done with the manual, but that's okay, since I am consider year-round homeschooling anyway. Just my thoughts!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 pm

We normally run a five day week , but there are those weeks where we've had something 'extra' going on like a field trip (or a snow day :wink: )and I've wanted to condense our work down to four days, and I've found that Beyond is pretty easy to do that with. History on day 5 is a Bible passage - with corresponding discussions in the Bible Study box - and a corresponding activity in the History/Geography/Science/Art box - so I usually will back that up to day 4. Day 5 Poetry is a review of one of the poems from a previous unit - short and easy to put on a different day. Language arts is a short grammar study - also easy to move to a different day. With storytime, I just double up one of the days or read the extra at bedtime or some other time and have them narrate back to me (which is usually the storytime activity for day 5). Math and Emerging Readers are the boxes that are a little trickier b/c you have to double those on one of the days too - and sometimes I don't want to "push" too much math at once - or make my ds read so much that he gets frustrated. When I'm shortening the week for those two subjects - I usually try to spread the work over all 4 days by just adding a little extra each day. Overall, I've found it pretty easy to do! :D
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 am

We've done it both ways. For most of the year, we did a five-day week, unless we had an occasional field trip or wanted to leave a day early for a week-end family vacation. Lately, I've started doing four-day weeks so that I can fit in some art projects that keep getting pushed by the wayside. When we do four-day weeks, we still do the basics on the fifth day, such as math, English (we're using R&S 2 with Beyond) & reading, but we hold off on all of the left side of Beyond. It's worked really well for us and hasn't seemed to interrupt the flow for my ds.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17