Picking Options in DITHOR for each genre

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sahervey

Picking Options in DITHOR for each genre

Post by sahervey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:56 pm

I picked up Dithor today and I am in LOVE! I love to read and so do my children, so I can't wait to begin this program. I only have to wait 4 LONG months..... Anyway, I noticed that on day 15, the teacher is supposed to choose which option the child/ren do after they have read their genres. Do any of you let your children pick? I'm wondering why the teacher is supposed to choose the option instead of the students. I'm thinking my 4th-5th graders would like to choose.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

blessedmomof4

Re: Picking Options in DITHOR for each genre

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I pick because if I left it up to them, they would always pick the easiest project :) I vary which type of project they do so that they get to do a variety of things. That works for us for now-I may let them choose next year.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:10 pm

I have been letting them choose for the most part. We discuss the different options and how we would implement them. So I can sort of steer them the direction I want them to go. :wink: :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:11 pm

We do some of both, too. Sometimes I pick, usually I let Grant pick. If I see that he's picking all one kind of project, I may tell him which project is going to be next to switch it up. Sometimes one of the group ideas won't work for him, so I let him pick between the 2 that will.

We've loved DITHOR!! Enjoy!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 am

Sometimes I let my dc choose, and sometimes I choose. I noticed my oldest never chose the Book Projects to Send Home. I had him do these for several genres in a row, and I really looked at as a time to come alongside him and partner with him to help his projects turn out well. Now he chooses the Book Projects as often as he doesn't. Sometimes I think dc need to be nudged to try something new and step out of their comfort zone - then they find a new thing to enjoy and learn some skills they probably didn't have before. DITHOR is very flexible - I think you can do either! Have fun with it - it's a satisfying way to teach reading through the years! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:29 pm

This is our first year with DITHOR and I've always let my ds pick. Although I want to pick it myself. :lol: He's not just stuck with one option though otherwise I'd probably would do what the pp's have said.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM