Can someone help me with DITHOR?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kim S

Can someone help me with DITHOR?

Post by Kim S » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Would this be something I could use with my 10th and 11th graders?
Can you tell me how it works? I look at it but it confuses me.
I am trying to research options for their LA next year.
Thanks
Kim S in Northeast Tennessee
Mom to 5 blessings Jamie 19, Sloane 16, Savannah 15, Collin 6, and Judah 3
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

momofgreatones

Re: Can someone help me with DITHOR?

Post by momofgreatones » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:19 pm

I wasn't planning on using DITHOR with my 10th grader, but after I looked at the assignments in the book and the student book, I think it is awesome and very challenging, and so I am using it with her. It's great and really makes her think. I think it depends on your dc's personality and what kind of literature analysis they've already had. I just use much harder literature for her than what is in the book packs, high school level stuff.

It can be confusing at first glance. I didn't use mine for a long time because I took a minute to look through it and couldn't figure it out. But then when I sat down with it and looked through it closely, it came together easily. I would say it takes maybe an hour one time, where you can look at it uninterrupted and you'll figure it out. Read through the info at the back of the teacher's guide and page through the lessons in the teacher's book and student book and it will come together. I love it so much! It's so unique, and I love that I can do it with all my kids together.
Monique

dd 18 graduated!
dd 16 studying for CLEPs
dd 14 Studying for CLEPs
ds 12 CTC with extensions
ds 10 Bigger Hearts
dd 8 Bigger Hearts
dd 4 Little Hands to Heaven
dd 2 Little Hands to Heaven

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:01 am

I was super confused about Dithor too, until I bought the manual and looked through it (just yesterday in depth). I ADORE it. I love how it formats each day of their reading. Some days they just read their chosen books, some days we discuss their book, and some days they do parts of the Student book (which i don't have yet). At the end of 15 days of reading, they have 3 different options for a "book report" project. One is from the Book Projects to Send Home, one is a character based project, which focuses on the Godly trait for that particular genre, and the other is a group project. The group project is if you have more than 1 child reading the same book.

In the front of the guide, it says this:

Methods taught in DITHOR:
Prereading activities
Lessons on 9 key story elements
guided literature discusstions
evaluations of character's actions in light of the Bible...
creative projects
exposure to a variety of literary styles

The 20 days of instruction in each genre unit utilize the following format:
a kickoff, or introduction to the genre
15 days of lessons (reading & student book/discussion)
5 days to work on one of 3 project options (which I listed above)

I can't wait to begin using this program. And to think I almost decided not to buy it.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 am

DITHOR is an outstanding reading program, and there is much to be learned through it - I can totally see how you are excited for your high schooler to glean the skills and the love of books DITHOR provides too! :D I do believe that it can work for certainly a portion of LA in high school, as long as the accompanying books are of an appropriate level. Here is a past link that may be helpful...

DITHOR Titles for High School:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7765&p=56997#p56997

Have fun with DITHOR - it is an excellent way to provide quality reading instruction with a Godly focus too! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie