Bigger Hearts with Extension Package

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
grandsophy

Bigger Hearts with Extension Package

Post by grandsophy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Next year I will have a first grader (officially, though she's doing mostly first grade work this year, though she's only 5) and a second grader and a fifth grader.

I'd like to do Bigger Hearts with the extension package for my 5th grader.

I'd love to hear how this works with an assortment of ages.

I'm thinking I need to use a different handwriting, as my youngers are not ready for cursive yet (maybe A Reason for Handwriting? or A Beka's Writing with Phonics?),
and I think I'll be using Rod and Staff 4 for my oldest's language program. We have done very gentle language (Queen) in the past so it's going to be a bit of a jump for her.
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science
Kindergarten & 1st Grader: Little Hearts for His Glory, CLE Math, CLE Language

blessedmomof4

Re: Bigger Hearts with Extension Package

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:28 pm

*bump*
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:07 am

Are you meaning that you would like to put them all in Bigger, or just the 5th grader?

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am

Gwenny wrote:Are you meaning that you would like to put them all in Bigger, or just the 5th grader?

Nancy
All in Bigger. It's for 7 to 9 year olds, I believe. I will have a 6 year old (who has been keeping up with her older sister and actually catching on more quickly) a 7 year old and a 10 year old.
3 Daughters
4th grader: Teaching Textbooks, Portraits of American Girlhood, Queen Language & CLE Science

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Since Bigger Hearts is targeted for ages 7-9 with extensions for ages 10-11, we wouldn't recommend for a 6 year old to do Bigger Hearts. :D This is because the skill level and amount of the written work in Bigger Hearts will be very difficult for a 6 year old. When thinking of placement in HOD, it's most important to ponder where each child fits individually on the placement chart, and then to see which children could possibly be combined and within which program. :D

If you were wanting to combine your 6 and 7 year olds, we would lean more toward placing them either in LHFHG or Beyond together. Here's a link to the placement chart that will be of help to you as you ponder: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Once you've had a chance to determine where each child fits individually on the first page of the chart, feel free to pop back and share more information, so we can help advise you better. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:13 am

Carrie wrote:Since Bigger Hearts is targeted for ages 7-9 with extensions for ages 10-11, we wouldn't recommend for a 6 year old to do Bigger Hearts. :D This is because the skill level and amount of the written work in Bigger Hearts will be very difficult for a 6 year old. When thinking of placement in HOD, it's most important to ponder where each child fits individually on the placement chart, and then to see which children could possibly be combined and within which program. :D

If you were wanting to combine your 6 and 7 year olds, we would lean more toward placing them either in LHFHG or Beyond together. Here's a link to the placement chart that will be of help to you as you ponder: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Once you've had a chance to determine where each child fits individually on the first page of the chart, feel free to pop back and share more information, so we can help advise you better. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
I will have a 5th grader and 2 2nd graders. Does that make more sense?

I know the language arts will need to be changed a bit for the youngers. I always adapt the curriculum guide quite a bit.
Last edited by grandsophy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 Daughters

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 am

And thanks for that chart, that's great!
3 Daughters

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 am

HI Grandsophy! We are doing Bigger Hearts, and we started it when my ds was 7 yo. He was an avid reader and did not have trouble with writing, but it took him a fair bit to grow into it. We ended up doing it half-speed for quite awhile (a little more than a year), and that was a super fit for him. I am wondering if you could share a bit about your dc individually in regard to the first page of the placement chart? Age is such a variable measure to determine where dc are in their academics. One 7, 8, 9 yo can just be completely at a different place than another 7, 8, 9 yo, so I get nervous giving advice without knowing much about how dc are doing in regard to their reading, writing, grammar, and math - and even just how they do with books that don't have many pictures or with more classical (kind of old-timey) sounding books, as living books often have that sound to them. :D I think that's why their isn't much response to your question here - we get worried about advising when we aren't really sure what dc are able to do, and we sure don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I do realize your desire to combine where able, and I'm glad you shared that, as this will certainly factor into the advice we'd give too. But, just for placement purposes, could you share a bit about each of your dc and which guide they would each place individually in, and then we can talk through some different options better? :D I will definitely check back here and try to help out - as I know others will be glad to as well! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

catbeth

Post by catbeth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:54 am

Interrupting to say, Grandsophy, I l.o.v.e. your username! One of my favorite books ever! :mrgreen:
Mom to:
DD 12
DD 9 and DS 8: PHFHG

grandsophy

Post by grandsophy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks, Catbeth!

After looking at the chart I am thinking my littles might fit better in the previous book. I already have that book--actually the whole package--so this could save us a lot of money---and as we just had a very unpleasant surprise at tax time, money is something I have to keep in mind. :(

I don't know what I'll do for my older dd. I was really looking forward to having everyone in the same curriculum guide, but perhaps this isn't the year to do this.
3 Daughters