Homeschool Organization for HOD This Year - Photos

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnahid

Homeschool Organization for HOD This Year - Photos

Post by tnahid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Just wanted to share how I organized our HOD materials this year with Beyond and LHTH. I am not a super organizer, but I did what I could! If you have any questions or comments, please share or ask! I would love to have some feedback and ideas for what else I could do to make it better. P.S Also, I would love to see other pictures of your homeschool set-up as well. We can all gain ideas in this matter from one another. Blessings!

This is a bookshelf where I keep most everything...

One side is emergent readers (plus a few other books), and the other side is 2/3 DITHOR level books...stuff in the middle is just...well...stuff... :wink:

This is our computer desk with an array of books on each side. The right side is where I keep LHTH folder and and manual. Next year, I will have a basket for her Little Hearts stuff.

This is where the boys keep their lesson things...

This is our bookshelf in our "school" room...mostly my books on there though!

This is the basket where I keep Beyond things that I am using...and a few other things...

This is our "schoolroom" where we read and do a majority of our lessons...they sit on the couch or lie in the floor to do their work, with a lap desk. I find this makes me a lot more "relaxed" and seems to do the same for my children, rather than having them sit at desks. Nothing wrong with desks, but this is just seeming to work better for us right now. This room is also like the "library" during the day when anyone is in there doing work. Everyone must be quiet in this room, or ELSE! :D The computer has headphones so that my daughter (4) can play computer while I am helping the boys with individual work, like LA, but she can still be in the same room with us. I am finding this is very helpful! I also play soft music in the background while we are doing our lessons. This is very relaxing and helps us all. I go to http://www.pandora.com or http://www.aolradio.com and just let it stream.

P.S. My oldest son came in while I was taking the pictures of these shelves and things and said, "Mom, WHAT are you doing?" :) :) Hee, Hee...it was so funny. He thinks I have lost it!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

moedertje

Re: Homeschool Organization for HOD This Year - Photos

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:40 pm

You did a very nicer job organizing, your school room looks cozy and that is what the kiddo's need! Thank you so much for sharing. We are not quiet ready to organize, but I will try to remember to post pictures. :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm

That does look nice and cozy. I feel like our school room is too messy to take pictures. :oops: I loved seeing your set-up. Thanks for sharing! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

BrooklynsMom03

Post by BrooklynsMom03 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Very nice! Our little area is a bit messy right now...to take a picture! Beth in Idaho
Married 25 yrs on June 14
Two sons Chad and Jared both have graduated from college
Blessed with daughter
Now...8 ....starting BHFHG Oct 1...
2nd year of home schooling...

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Well, I was inspired by this post, so here is a link to some photos of our school shelves.

http://woernerfamilyacademy.blogspot.co ... ining.html

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Please post some more inspiration for me! I am so curious to see what others do for their homeschool space.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:55 pm

InHistiming: I love your blog post and the way you have organized it all. It looks great. I love your little playroom area. That is so neat and cozy with the little chair there! Thanks for posting this! Your shelves look good too. Can't wait to see how others do it as well!
Tina
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I've changed it a bit. I have a loveseat in front of the window now and dd's desk in the middle of the room is now under the whiteboard.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:39 pm

@Annaz --- I love your set up! That is awesome. It is like a library! I love all the little bookshelves you have everywhere. So cute! Thank you for sharing!
Tina

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 am

Lovely organizing! I'll have to post some pics after I dust my shelves! :D
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Love all the photos--great job!!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:36 am

My camera is broken:( But what's worked for us is I have a milk crate with all the books I read in it. It sits beside my comfy chair. Then each of my kids have their own hanging file folder box with all their books they read of do in it. That sits on top of a 2 shelf book shelf. I have 2 of them and the girls share a shelf and the boys share a shelf. Underneath their box is everything that wont fit in it, plus some supplies.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:25 am

All last school year and the beginning of this school year, we did our school work in our designated school area on one half of the playroom in our basement...
The shelves hold school supplies, HOD curriculum, lots of extra books, manipulatives, toddler/preschool busy bags/games, art supplies, paper, etc. The computer is an older one loaded with kid's educational games.

A few weeks into this school year, I discovered my ds LOVES the natural light in the dining room and works with a better attitude when he's in that room. He is also less-distracted by his younger sisters in that room.

So we're currently in the process of moving our school things into the dining room...however, I need to get some cabinets to hide our supplies (just a personal preference :wink: ). For now, we have the basics in the cube shelves currently in our dining room.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm

LOL Beth! Do I see two Pampered Chef Tool spinners?

I have one too, aren't they great! :mrgreen:
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I enjoyed this thread. I love photos! I actually was thinking of starting something similar before this thread popped up. I'm always curious to see others' HoD spots.

We chose our dining room as our schoolroom. It is the largest room in the house, and is right off both the kitchen and living area. Here is a pic from the kitchen doorway. (The rooms all look a lot bigger in the photos than they do in real life!)
Attachments
179.JPG
179.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS