DITHOR question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
luvschoolin2

DITHOR question

Post by luvschoolin2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I was noticing with the new 6/7 book pack that it says you can substitute the Boy/Girl interest options from CtC also. Does this go for any level then? For instance, if I decided to use the Extension books next year for RtR with DITHOR, will they match up with all the genres and work?
CtC--9th

luvschoolin2

Re: DITHOR question

Post by luvschoolin2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 am

Bump! Anybody? :?
CtC--9th

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:59 am

I don't think so-the Boy/Girl Storytime interest sets in CtC follow the 9 genres covered in DITHOR, but the Extension and Basic read-aloud sets in RtR are meant to match the time period being studied, so they are mostly historical fiction.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:22 am

Lourdes is right that most of the books in the extension pkg for RTR would be historical fiction.

DITHOR will be your reading/literature program for your child. You wouldn't ever want to just tack on the DITHOR questions/work to books that you're reading for another purpose within the guides (even if they are of the 9 genres). So, say you read the Boy Interest Pack for storytime with CTC. Those books are from each of the 9 genres. But, within CTC, they're designed for your child to listen to and you to read. Then there are specific follow-ups within the storytime box of CTC that build the skills listed within the intro of CTC for that box. You would want to use totally seperate books for DITHOR at that time....so that your child is building the skills listed in the intro of the DITHOR guide. Trying to "double up" on a specific book throughout the year to use it for storytime and DITHOR would take the fun out of the book for the child, I think, AND it would defeat the purpose of the one or both of the "boxes" for those areas. Make sense?? :D :?

Have fun picking books for next year! So many good options!!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH