Poetry copywork in Beyond and Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

Poetry copywork in Beyond and Bigger

Post by abrightmom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 pm

How much of the poem do your DC copy? Some of them are long....what is the expectation with this?

Do your children copy the poems in the guide's format (arranging the lines the same way)? Do you ask your child to copy the poem title and author?

Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

beverett

Re: Poetry copywork in Beyond and Bigger

Post by beverett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 pm

I am thinking that at the beggining of each unit the suggestion is " You may choose to have students copy part of the poem for this unit each day"... so I have taken it as a suggestion not neccesarily a must. In that case, what I have done is have my kiddos copy a portion each day of the unit, like if there are 10 lines they do 2 lines each day. I do have them copy the author and title also... but I do not think you would have to do this if it is frustrating to you dc. You could wait till they are a little older or even just pick one verse or stanza to have them copy? Just my thoughts :D :D Oh and I do have them do it exactly how it is shown, but I bet I am just tough... everyone probably does it a little differant? Good questions!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:45 pm

We have only done Bigger, but I started out the year having him just copy part (maybe 1/2?) of the poem and then worked it up to the whole poem by the end of the year. In Preparing, the student doesn't have to copy the poem, but has other copywork that is definitely as long as some of the poems! :wink: I think it is important to work up to them being able to do the whole poem eventually.

I did have him copy the title, poet, and copy the stanzas as written. HTH! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:12 pm

abrightmom wrote:How much of the poem do your DC copy? Some of them are long....what is the expectation with this?

Do your children copy the poems in the guide's format (arranging the lines the same way)? Do you ask your child to copy the poem title and author?

My ds (8) has always copied the whole poem no matter how long. He does copy the poem in the guide's format, as well as the title and author's name. He also illustrates it as suggested in the guide. One of his favorite things to do.

My dd (6) has worked her way up to doing all of the above as well. She of course didn't start out doing all of it, but now she can. HTH!
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Very helpful responses. Do you photocopy the poems and give your children a packet or a notebook with them included? Does your child read the poems out of the guide?
2019-2020 plans
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Initally in Beyond-we just read the poem and he suggested the title on day one ,and we worked on him understanding poetry.My son has aspergers and is very literal.Then we worked on him memorising the poem-we cut up the poems and he put them in order,decorating a photocopy .He was writing the weekly bible verse.Then we started copying a couple of lines.Initially he got really lost ,started copying the second verse before the first .Now I am about halfway through Beyond and cutting up a photocopy and glue ing it onto lined paper-leaving the line underneath blank.This stops him getting lost and helps him stay on the page.We will copy about 2/3rds of the poem.My aim is to get him to copy all the poem..soon...
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:07 pm

spidermansmum wrote:Initally in Beyond-we just read the poem and he suggested the title on day one ,and we worked on him understanding poetry.My son has aspergers and is very literal.Then we worked on him memorising the poem-we cut up the poems and he put them in order,decorating a photocopy .He was writing the weekly bible verse.Then we started copying a couple of lines.Initially he got really lost ,started copying the second verse before the first .Now I am about halfway through Beyond and cutting up a photocopy and glue ing it onto lined paper-leaving the line underneath blank.This stops him getting lost and helps him stay on the page.We will copy about 2/3rds of the poem.My aim is to get him to copy all the poem..soon...
What wonderful ideas! :D

Another question for you all:
If my son does the copywork for Beyond (while studying in Little Hearts with his sister) then when he gets to Beyond the next year what do we do for poetry and copywork? Is there a better way to add in poetry copywork for a kiddo doing the left side of Little Hearts and the right side of Beyond?
2019-2020 plans
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 pm

abrightmom wrote:
spidermansmum wrote:Initally in Beyond-we just read the poem and he suggested the title on day one ,and we worked on him understanding poetry.My son has aspergers and is very literal.Then we worked on him memorising the poem-we cut up the poems and he put them in order,decorating a photocopy .He was writing the weekly bible verse.Then we started copying a couple of lines.Initially he got really lost ,started copying the second verse before the first .Now I am about halfway through Beyond and cutting up a photocopy and glue ing it onto lined paper-leaving the line underneath blank.This stops him getting lost and helps him stay on the page.We will copy about 2/3rds of the poem.My aim is to get him to copy all the poem..soon...
What wonderful ideas! :D

If my son does the copywork for Beyond (while studying in Little Hearts with his sister) then when he gets to Beyond the next year what do we do for poetry and copywork? Is there a better way to add in poetry copywork for a kiddo doing the left side of Little Hearts and the right side of Beyond?
I would recommend doing copywork, just not from Beyond. We're about 2/3's of the way through Beyond and I've just loved how the history, poetry, Bible, etc. all blend together. The poems are carefully selected to coinicide with the readings, so I think you'd be missing something if you did the poetry this year. From what you've described, I assume your son will be doing the right side of Bigger when he gets to Beyond. We're doing the left side of Beyond this year, along with most of the right side from Bigger. It's worked really well to do Beyond's copywork along with R&S English 2. Last year, I didn't know about HOD early enough to do all of Little Hearts (with the right side of Beyond), but I did have my son do copywork from Scripture and that was a great preparation for the copywork in Beyond.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

beverett

Post by beverett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 pm

I photo copy them and keep them in my teacher notebook that I have. Then when they need a new one it is right there and they do not need my guide all the time

spidermansmum wrote: cutting up a photocopy and glue ing it onto lined paper-leaving the line underneath blank.This stops him getting lost and helps him stay on the page.
This is a great idea, I have son that just turned 8 that writes big and this would work well for him!! :D
John'smom wrote: He also illustrates it as suggested in the guide. One of his favorite things to do.
WOW, I dont remember reading this anywhere!! How fun would this be :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:52 pm

My dd7 copies on average 4-6 lines of the poetry per day. Sometimes we finish the poem by the end of the week, occasionally we don't. She does have to illustrate the poetry as well. I started her on copying the scripture memory verse for the week as that was generally an easier "bite" size for her and a bit less intimidating.

Oh, and because of the paper we use for copy work, I don't make her write the lines as written in the guide. :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm

We just used the Bible verse as our copywork when we were doing the left side of LHFHG with the right side of Beyond. That worked well for my dc because they weren't up for much more copywork at that point. I agree with the pp that I would save the poetry from Beyond until you are doing the left side of Beyond. If you felt your ds needed more copywork perhaps you could use longer Bible passages, nursery rhymes, or some of the poems from a Child's Garden of Verses. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Although I'm enjoying the left side / right side thing, there are a few details to work out. I have a 1st grader using LHFHG and Beyond (while his younger brother uses straight LHFHG). I like the pp's suggestions for Bible verses or nursery rhymes. Maybe something fun?

I don't know if this will help you or not, but after writing out my plan I figured out a couple other small details with using 1/2 guides...primarily deciding what to do with science next year.

This year (1st grade):
LHFHG left + storytime + handwriting/thinking skills (1st grade options)
Beyond right (only LA spelling and grammar, ERs, and Math)

Next year (2nd grade):
Beyond left + storytime + copywork
Bigger right (LA, Math, Reading/DITHOR, and add in a new science that is daily)
***NOTE: Science moves over to the right side for Bigger and becomes daily so I'm going to save it for the following year. I also hear that it ties in to the history so it is better to keep it together.

3rd grade:
Bigger left + science + storytime
Preparing right (LA including DITHOR, Math)
***NOTE: Poetry and Storytime switch sides in Preparing. Bible Study also moves to the right.

4th grade:
Preparing left + poetry + science + Bible Study
CTC right (LA including DITHOR, Math)

I think I have that straight. That's all I've figured out for now. Hope somehow that helps you with your planning.
Last edited by mom24boys on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 pm

daybreaking wrote:
I would recommend doing copywork, just not from Beyond. We're about 2/3's of the way through Beyond and I've just loved how the history, poetry, Bible, etc. all blend together. The poems are carefully selected to coinicide with the readings, so I think you'd be missing something if you did the poetry this year. From what you've described, I assume your son will be doing the right side of Bigger when he gets to Beyond. We're doing the left side of Beyond this year, along with most of the right side from Bigger. It's worked really well to do Beyond's copywork along with R&S English 2. Last year, I didn't know about HOD early enough to do all of Little Hearts (with the right side of Beyond), but I did have my son do copywork from Scripture and that was a great preparation for the copywork in Beyond.
Agree with daybreaking completely! :D
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 pm

abrightmom wrote:Very helpful responses. Do you photocopy the poems and give your children a packet or a notebook with them included? Does your child read the poems out of the guide?
Yes, I just photocopy them, then I will couple the lines I want them to write and label it with which day beside it. I just give them one poem each week, but we use workboxes. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 pm

mom24boys wrote:Although I'm enjoying the left side / right side thing, there are a few details to work out. I have a 1st grader using LHFHG and Beyond (while his younger brother uses straight LHFHG). I like the pp's suggestions for Bible verses or nursery rhymes. Maybe something fun?

I don't know if this will help you or not, but after writing out my plan I figured out a couple other small details with using 1/2 guides...primarily deciding what to do with science next year.

This year (1st grade):
LHFHG left + storytime + handwriting/thinking skills (1st grade options)
Beyond right (only LA spelling and grammar, ERs, and Math)

Next year (2nd grade):
Beyond left + storytime + copywork
Bigger right (LA, Math, Reading/DITHOR, and add in a new science that is daily)
***NOTE: Science moves over to the right side for Bigger and becomes daily so I'm going to save it for the following year. I also hear that it ties in to the history so it is better to keep it together.

3rd grade:
Bigger left + science + storytime
Preparing right (LA including DITHOR, Math, Bible Study)
***NOTE: Poetry and Storytime switch sides in Preparing

4th grade:
Preparing left + poetry + science
CTC right (LA including DITHOR, Math, Bible Study)

I think I have that straight. That's all I've figured out for now. Hope somehow that helps you with your planning.
Cyndi,

Your schedule looks great and it is very similar to what we have done. I just thought I would let you know that once you get to Bigger, you really don't have to have the next guide in line for your math and LA. Once you reach 3A in Singapore, there are no hands on activities in the guides so you just follow the schedule and the schedule for 3A and 3B is in the appendix of Bigger. You really don't need a schedule for grammar either as basically one lesson per day works out well even for R&S3. So once you get to Bigger, you can pretty much start working from just one guide. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1