handwriting for a 4 year old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kvmck

handwriting for a 4 year old

Post by kvmck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 am

This is a problem I did not have with my oldest two kids. My 4 year old is writing words and looooves to write her letters. Should I be concerned about proper technique? She starts all her letters at the bottom and writes the "o" parts of letters the wrong way. I certainly don't want to discourage her but I also don't want her to have to "un learn" and then re-learn the correct way later. Any advice or personal experience? My older kids didn't start writing until they were 5 or 6 and they both had a hard time with it.. they are still trying to overcome some early handwriting "wrongs". When we came to HOD we found Happy Handwriting and Cheerful Cursive which my older kids LOVE and they have been so helpful but not sure how to effectively help an eager 4 year old.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

mommadonna

Re: handwriting for a 4 year old

Post by mommadonna » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Bump....I am interested too. My dd likes to try to write letters and such, but I am not sure if I should be correcting at this point. Good question. Hopefully someone will chime in with some advice.
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm

I personally would (and did) start training in proper letter formation when the child begins writing real letters (as opposed to scribbles and doodles). Handwriting Without Tears has a preschool workbook that teaches how to form letters, and they also have nice wooden pieces that you can use to show your daughter which comes first in letter formation (e.g. big line) and which comes next (e.g. little curve) one step at a time. That way the child doesn't have to unlearn their own method. My daughter is also 4 and so I don't have a big handwriting success story to tell :lol: but she has enjoyed the preschool workbook - she needs a lot more work on her fine motor skills and it seems just right developmentally. We plan to switch over to A Reason For Handwriting in 1st grade for the bible verses (I don't think the K book has them).

Daph

Post by Daph » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

My daughter started writing at four too, and she really enjoys the Explode the Code books. They're interesting and a little silly. :)
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 am

My dd started writing at 4 as well, very different from ds :lol: , and she loves the Get Ready for the Code Books A,B & C. I've been giving her some instruction before we start each new letter, and it seems to be sticking, at least a little. ;-)
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Hooray for your little sweetie! :D Writing one letter at a time on a markerboard in black marker is a good way to begin teaching little ones proper letter formation. I agree that once dc are starting to write actual letters, it's a good idea to try to teach proper formation, though the size of the letter is not important (big letters are fine), and writing on the line is not so important either (floating letters are just fine to start with) :D . It's easier to slowly acquire good habits of formation than to undo improper formation later on - HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Great question! :D :D I have a dd3 who writes letters all the time as well. We are starting LHTH full time in August (she will be 4 than) so she will get lots of good formal instruction with each letter. Thank you Julie for your advise. I try to catch her before she goes the wrong direction for her "o" type letters. :D :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:09 pm

We used (and still use) HWT to teach letter formation. It's gentle and easy, and inexpensive. I like that it has verbal and visual prompts. Even now, at almost 7, he'll occasionally say the verbal prompts to remember which way to go- like a /d/ he'll say around, up and down. No reversals that way. :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi Angie, What is HWT?
Thanks!
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm

The dry erase board is a great idea-- she will love that and hopefully with 3 teachers (myself, and her older brother and sister) we will be able to keep up with her :) She loooves to do worksheets and workbooks--she just can't get enough of them-- so I'm getting to use up the workbooks I bought for my older kids when they were that age b/c they didn't have the slightest interest in them!
Verbal cues are a good idea too, something she can say out loud to help herself remember.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Julie, I just saw this as I was thumbing through the boards asking the same question. "HWT" is Handwriting Without Tears, a great handwriting curriculum.
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Mon May 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Oops, sorry, I didn't see Julie's question when she posted.

Btw, I didn't buy all they offer. It seemed a bit overboard to me. I do like the wooden pieces (you can make them), small board and student book. I bought regular chalk and broke it in half and cut up a small sponge. Worked perfectly. I do recommend the TM the first time you use the program just so you understand the whys and hows of HWT.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR