spelling in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

spelling in Bigger

Post by LivinNandByHim » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 pm

After skimming through the appendix, I am wondering how to beef up the spelling / dictation for my son. He will actually be in 5th grade and has been spelling more complex words than these. ((He has flip flopped from C's to F's to A's to C's in spelling depending on effort and not losing his spelling packet. He did really like Spelling City website though. That helped the A grade. ) I thought we could take samples and spelling words from the readings. I am hesitant to spend any more money on further materials. Maybe I just don't need to worry about it that much because there is so much other stuff already included in Bigger's program. I started him at the lower level for his emotional maturity and for some ADD traits, but he is capable of doing more than he generally produces. I am very excited to start Bigger with him. I foresee school becoming a delight rather than a drudgery.

Any thoughts on the spelling?? Just use what we come across in our readings for spelling, vocab, dictation??? Probably should try him out on what is there in the appendix and see first hand what he can do without coaching??? hmmmmm.

Mercy

Re: spelling in Bigger

Post by Mercy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 am

Hi,

Keep in mind this is my first year with HOD, so I may not know what I am talking about. :lol: lol!

I have a soon to be 6th grader. I was doing level 2 with him when we first began for several weeks. After him getting them all pretty much right every time (except remembering to capitalize those names...), I realized he was at too low of a level. But, just to be sure I orally tested him at the whiteboard some of those difficult words. He came out with flying colors. I also just tested his days of the week, months of the year and number words. Those words that he got wrong (bought and August, both of which I retested the next day and he got right), plus those words he misses in his everyday handwriting, I have him write in his notebook under a special tab I labeled "spelling." I think his everyday copy work, plus being diligent to point out misspellings in his everyday work has helped him tremendously in spelling!

Now, with all of that said...
Dictation is so much more than spelling. :D It is learning to pay attention to (those capitals my son missed!), punctuation, yes spelling and more! If I had my 5th grade son in bigger I would definitely, first test him on the spelling list, then if he seems to be beyond that, I would just do the dictations with him. :) You could buy the preparing manual and do level 3 with him, if you think he needs that and finances allow...

Like I said, that's just my opinion for what its worth. I am sure someone more experienced will stop by and give you better direction...

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense, actually. And my ds as well forgets consistently his capitals and punctuation. So, I think actually working through the lists, the readings, and correcting his everyday work should be sufficient. Truly, in his everyday work, his spelling is not great and making an A on a test he studied for is not the same as incorporating those words and their spellings into his storehouse of knowledge for use. Does that make sense??

I started him lower for a purpose, or rather, maybe feel led to do so, and I need to relax and let that purpose work its work. :)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 pm

I agree that dictation is so much more than just the spelling, so I would try to find a level of dictation that works for him. If you felt the beginning of level 2 was too easy, you could always start towards the middle of the list. If you do need a higher level of dictation than level 2 though, you will have to get another guide. Preparing has levels 2, 3, and 4. I think CTC has 3, 4, and 5. You could do as you suggested too and try to pick some passages to dictate out of the history, science, or storytime book. I'm sure you could find challenging enough passages and just do it the same way as the studied dictation in the back of the book. Just to get started though and let him get a feel for dictation, it would probably be a good idea to try some of level 2 dictation passages, doing it as instructed. After he is used to it, if you feel it is not challenging enough for him, you could move him up a level or choose passages from some of the books that you are reading. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Daph

Post by Daph » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:03 pm

I think the spelling is too basic for my dd8 too, but the dictation is going to be great for her. It looks easy to us, but I'm sure it'll be challenging for the kiddos who've never done this before.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)