Question about weight of RtoR package

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wonderfilled

Question about weight of RtoR package

Post by wonderfilled » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 am

I am so excited to have found Heart of Dakota. The children and I are eager to start school for next year already. We are working overseas as missionaries and just received our HOD catalog. Everyone, even the three year old has been poring over it. I guess he thinks it's a pretty important catalog judging from the rest of our actions. He points to the Little Hands to Heaven book and says, "This one me." :D

I am ordering books a little early because of the time it takes to get them here. I have decided to go with the RtoR package and was wondering about how much room it would take up and also about its weight. We have friends coming over that could bring it and I was wondering how much weight it would take up in their luggage of their allowed weight. I am considering the Economy package and the History Read Alouds. I already have my science planned. I might order some other odds and ends but that should be the bulk of it.

Thanks a lot.
Suzanna
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

basesloaded

Re: Question about weight of RtoR package

Post by basesloaded » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 am

Can you tell us where you are? I have sent lots of things to friends in Indonesia & Russia. I have also been with them at the airport scrambling when they packers were overweight. I could take a guess at it better if I knew where it was going.
:D
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:45 am

We're in Benin, West Africa. Usually we're allowed a carry-on and two fifty pound check-ins per person. I'm hoping this is still the same. Airport regulations seem to be changing all the time. I was wondering how much weight the RtoR package would take since it's the weight that usually fills up first (not the space).
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am

I was just talking to my friend who has been a missionary in Indonesia and is now in Russia. She felt like paying a little extra (like $50 or so?) would be better than shipping because you know you are going to get it. It has been very expensive to ship things to her in Russia, more than it was to Indo and I always held my breath til she got it! Recently I have had one package of books lost in the states because the box fell apart and a second one nearly did the same. I am thinking it will cost you far less to pay the weight overage and you will have a much better chance of getting everything! I do not have the RTR package yet but maybe someone who does will answer and be glad to make a weight estimate for you! We are looking forward to using RTR next year, too :D . Hope that helps some!

PS - I love your login name :D
Suzy in Eastern NC

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 am

basesloaded wrote:I was just talking to my friend who has been a missionary in Indonesia and is now in Russia. She felt like paying a little extra (like $50 or so?) would be better than shipping because you know you are going to get it. It has been very expensive to ship things to her in Russia, more than it was to Indo and I always held my breath til she got it! Recently I have had one package of books lost in the states because the box fell apart and a second one nearly did the same. I am thinking it will cost you far less to pay the weight overage and you will have a much better chance of getting everything! I do not have the RTR package yet but maybe someone who does will answer and be glad to make a weight estimate for you! We are looking forward to using RTR next year, too :D . Hope that helps some!

PS - I love your login name :D
Thanks for your help. You are probably right. We've had very good success with flat-rate boxes so far, but we did have one that had the corner chewed off and some of the food sampled by a hungry mouse or something. It would be very disappointing if that happened to a box of much-awaited books. Or worse, if it never came at all.

About my login name- I've always loved the quote, "Gratitude is happiness with wonder." I have so much to be thankful for (Christ, wonderful husband, great children) and I am amazed it's all happened to me.

My life goes on in endless song:
Above earth's lamentation,
I catch the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul--
How can I keep from singing?

Sorry that was all off subject, but I couldn't help it.
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 am

That was so beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing ... now I am off to write it down where I can remember it and see it often :D !

Hope all your books arrive safe and sound! (and your visitors, too! - How wonderful to have "guests". I would love to visit my friend one day on the "field")
Suzy in Eastern NC

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:16 am

I'm sure your friend would enjoy that basesloaded. It was nice chatting with you.

Anyone else have any idea how much the books all weigh?
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 am

Welcome to the HOD Board! If you could just email HOD with what you would potentially be ordering, I am sure they can give you a good estimate of weight. How exciting you will be doing HOD - I think you will enjoy it so much - we sure do! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie