Poetry Copywork Question #2: How much writing do they need?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heart_Mom

Poetry Copywork Question #2: How much writing do they need?

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:07 am

Hello again! :D

I originally had this question as part of my other poetry copywork thread, but since it really is a separate question, I'll ask it separately. :D

Since my older two children are doing other writing each day, do they really need to do the poetry copywork?

My 9 year old son is doing the following each day:
Cheerful Cursive
Rod & Staff Grammar 2
a Spelling program than includes dictation of sentences & phrases
any other writing in Beyond (like for Storytime, etc.) - we sometimes do this orally, but we often write it out

And my 6 year old daughter is doing this written work daily:
A Reason for Handwriting level A
Spelling program mentioned above.
any other writing in Beyond (like for Storytime, etc.) - we sometimes do this orally, but we often write it out

I often struggle with knowing just how much writing they really need in a day.

What do you think? Do they need the poetry copywork considering the writing they are currently doing?
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

John'smom

Re: Poetry Copywork Question #2: How much writing do they need?

Post by John'smom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 am

I personally wouldn't skip it as I feel it probably helps them be prepared for Bigger. It of course is just my guess and my two cents. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 am

Since the copywork develops reading, spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills, I think it is important. However, the amount will need to be judged according to the child's abilities, etc. I give my son so many lines a day and if we finish a poem fine, if not that is fine too. I know a lot of the parents do most of the Rod & Staff orally. Perhaps you could do more of that orally and have your child copy a part of the poem each week. A 6 yr old should not be doing a lot of close reading/written work yet to protect the eyes, so I would definitely watch the amount for her. Perhaps your 9 yr old could complete all of the shorter poems and just a part of the longer poems.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm

I think the copywork is very important. Although it does practice letter formation, there are many other skills that are learned as a child does copywork. Since doing the copywork in Beyond, my ds is much more attentive to detail and is more careful about the mechanics or writing (punctuation, spelling, capitalization, etc.). Even though he is doing R&S English 2 and other writing tasks, it's the copywork that has really made a difference. We started the year with him making upwards of 15-20 mistakes when copying a poem and now he often makes at most one tiny mistake per day, if that. I like how his brain is being trained in this regard. (On a side note, my dh is a college professor and he said one of the big areas of weakness he notices in his students is that they can't accurately copy problems from a book onto paper. I bet they never did copywork! :) ) The nice thing about copywork is that you can limit the amount. Although we have our son copy a stanza a day, if a child is overwhelmed with that amount, even one good line of copywork a day will produce results.
Last edited by daybreaking on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

cirons

Post by cirons » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm

HI there,

my ds 7 is doing Beyond and I do not get him to do the copywork as he is working through a handwriting program and this replaces his writing scheduled for poetry. I type up the poem for him and he illustrates it on the day that is scheduled. Once my ds is finished his handwriting book, he will then start copywork from the manual. This might be about half way through Beyond. If you feel you have handwriting covered in other areas, then leave the poetry copywork. You are the best judge of how much is too much.

All the best,

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

blessedmom

Post by blessedmom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 pm

My dd7 has been copying the poems this year in Beyond, and now in Bigger.
It has helped her in so many ways. I agree with the previous poster in how it helps in their ability to pay attention to detail.
She also was a struggling reader at the beginning of the year.
I think it is copying a stanza a day that has actually helped her eyes in tracking.
This seemed like a lot for a child who could hardly read it, but I am so glad I made her do it anyway.

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 am

Thank you so much, ladies! You've given me lots of food for thought. :D

I think that I'll have them do at least a little bit each day: one line for my 6 year old, and at least two lines for my 9 year old. I'll tell them that if they do their copywork diligently, that's all they will have to do; but if they do not, then they will have to do more lines.

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm starting a self-imposed internet fast starting today because I've been spending too much time online. So if you post on this thread I won't be able to respond right away. I think I've been spending so much time on the computer that it's been detrimental to my family. :oops:

Thanks again for your help! :D

I'm off to attempt, by God's grace, to get my priorities back in order.... :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 am

I just had to laugh, because a few years back I felt the same way. I just really needed to place my priorities in order. So, before my husband ran out the door I handed him the mouse! Lol! It really worked for me. I no longer feel that draw to the computer anymore, so take heart it does get better. This board and email is pretty much it. :D

Enjoy your "computer free" day!
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG