joining grades and reading comprehension

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nikkisfarmer

joining grades and reading comprehension

Post by Nikkisfarmer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:51 am

Hi, I'm new to homeschooling and am so happy to be here.
I love HOD, but I'd like some advice from others....
Does anyone out there join grades for some of the read aloud time? I have a K and 2nd grader, and it would be very helpful to do this. Also, has anyone found that the devotionals and some of the history reading is very long for a K's attention span? I'd love some input on this. I love the content and subject matter and how the Lord is in the middle of the entire curriculum and am thankful to have found HOD!
Thanks!

Gwenny

Re: joining grades and reading comprehension

Post by Gwenny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:15 am

What guide(s) are you doing? How old are the children? We are doing Little Hearts with my boy who is 6.5 and the readings are perfect for him. If it's not that your little one is just too young, maybe you could switch some things up to not do too much sitting and reading all at once.
Just a thought. :)

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Nikkisfarmer

Post by Nikkisfarmer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:54 pm

My kids are in the right fit for them, and I love so much about the curriculum. I was noticing while looking at another curriculum, that the history book read-aloud that's used for LH (my K) is the same one used for a 3rd grader (in the other curriculum)... I think I feel like it's a little too much in-depth reading of history for a K.... even a fairly advanced K. Sometimes it's a little too much for my 3rd grader it seems.
But again, I love how everything corresponds with each subject/Bible.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 pm

To what book are you referring?

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Nikkisfarmer

Post by Nikkisfarmer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 pm

History stories for children. Great stories.... Soooooo long and detailed for young ones.

beverett

Post by beverett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:39 pm

I have not actually used Little Hearts yet, I just purchased it to use for next year. Since I do own it and I didn't see many answers on this I looked at it and thought I would respond. But frist I was wandering if you could help us out a little :D What unit of LHFHG are you on, and are you having trouble with your son sitting still to listen. I noticed when I looked that it broken up into short 3 page increments? Is that what you have noticed? If you would give just a little more information the ladies here would jump right in and offer suggestions and what they have done :D They are all so wonderful and I have received much from them help :D :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie