Carrie, Julie, and everyone: I need reassurance!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
avbprincess

Carrie, Julie, and everyone: I need reassurance!

Post by avbprincess » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Okay, so DH and I have made a plan for DS's schooling when he starts K in 2012, but now I need to have it validated by all you lovely, wise ladies so that I can truly feel at peace about it. I've already PM'd Julie about this for her opinion, so I'll just paste most of what I wrote here:

DS is 3.5 and we're on Unit 8 of LHTH, and I plan on going through LHTH a second time before beginning Kindergarten in July 2012 (we're starting K in the early summer because I plan on schooling year round). I'm sure that DS will be ready for LHFHG as a 5 year old (in August '12), but I'd like to hold off on it for a year because: 1) from what I've read the guides get harder pretty quickly, and delaying a year would theoretically ensure that we won't need to slow down the pace at any time and the skills needed would come just a bit easier; 2) being in the middle age range of the guides instead of the young age might mean he will get more out of each guide 3) he would start the high school credit worthy guides (Geography guide and up) as a freshman in high school, which makes things easier both administratively and I believe academically; 4) we wouldn't have an extra year to fill at the end. Because of these reasons we've chosen to piece together our own Kindergarten year, (using LHFHG K options for Fine Motor Skills, math and phonics), and then start LHFHG (using the 1st grade options, Emerging Readers, and Beyond's Spelling List 1), when DS is 6 and in 1st grade.

But here are my fears: 1) potentially holding him back; 2) concern that the guides may end up a little too easy for him, and not meaty enough for the grade level, especially in the early guides (I know that Carrie wrote these guides with a 3 year age, and 2 grade level range in mind, but I still feel uneasy); 3) the irrational fear that somehow not starting with the HOD guides right away in K will somehow become a problem down the road. (In case this all looks familiar, I've written a bit about all this in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8558)

So I'm not so much asking for opinions on what I should do, but am really looking for reassurance that what we've chosen to do is okay, and that my listed fears are invalid. Of course, if my fears are valid in any way, then I want to know that, and I know you wonderful ladies will tell it to me like it is. :D
Last edited by avbprincess on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1
HODers from the beginning

creativemommy

Re: Carrie, Julie, and everyone: I need reassurance!

Post by creativemommy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm

What you have planned for you ds is fine because you know him the best! :)

My son used LHFHG for his kindergarten year (last school year) when he was 6. It was a good fit for him and I chose all the 1st grade options (Thinking Skills, Singapore 1A/1B & Our Father's World). He had a great year! I know if he had done LHFHG the year before, and then Beyond that year, it would have flopped because he wouldn't have been ready for the additional writing just because (like most boys) he doesn't enjoy handwriting. :wink:
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

You'll be fine :) It's K.... don't worry about it :)

But I have to ask why you don't do the left side and the story time half speed and the workbooks full speed? Do LHFHG for both K and 1st.

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 pm

MomtoJGJE wrote:You'll be fine :) It's K.... don't worry about it :)

But I have to ask why you don't do the left side and the story time half speed and the workbooks full speed? Do LHFHG for both K and 1st.
I'm not actually concerned about his K year at all; I'm concerned about his 1st grade year and up.

We thought about doing LHFHG half speed as you said, but we decided that we preferred to do K and 1st separately at full speed because I think DS can handle the work load and I think a half speed 1st grade year would be too easy.

Thanks for your thoughts so far. :D
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Deanna - Thank you for posting this here! I am snowed under right now and not getting to my PM's, so I'm so glad you went ahead and posted this here too. I read through your plan, and I want to reassure you that this is a good plan! You and your dh are in agreement on this, your reasons for choosing this pacing make sense, and it will meet the goals you've set. :D :D :D With that being said, the Lord is teaching me this verse literally every day of my life...
Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.

Soooo, if something changes, and ds finishes LHTH and you decide it may be a better fit to do LHFHG half-speed, or some other pacing with HOD seems to fit best, or something in your life makes a change necessary, that will be alright too! I had a plan all figured out for Riley, half-speed, full-speed, finish BHFHG this year and be on the guide a year plan. Didn't happen. It just wasn't the right pacing for my precious, tender-hearted, creatively inclined little Riley. So, on to Plan B. :wink: Plan B became the better plan, as it turned out. I'm just saying - yes, your plan definitely looks good, it definitely makes sense, it definitely matches you and your dh's goals... but sometimes, plans change, and if that does happen, that will be okay too. Cast off the weight of the world of figuring out an entire homeschooling plan through high school right now if you can - there are many roads to graduating successfully with HOD - and we can all navigate that together in the years to come... but for now... enjoy the journey - you are going to love the journey with HOD! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Sounds like a great plan. Just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy these years when they are so young, they go so fast. Not too long ago, there wasn't such thing as "kindergarten". Read books, play games, do puzzles, play outside for hours, go on hikes and walks, cook, color. :) You won't be holding him back. I believe that's one of the reasons Carrie made the guides the way they are (and what Charlotte Mason wanted), not a lot of time in "schooling", just enough and let then let them explore and play and do chores.

I just want to encourage you to relax, like Julie said, and God will show you each year what to do. :)

Blessings,
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks again everyone, for your replies. They are so helpful to my peace of mind. :) Julie, you've written exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. :D I take to heart what you've written about plans changing and that God was ultimate control. I definitely agree with you, and believe it or not I do have an open mind about where our HOD journey will take us. But to have a set plan, at least for now, that I feel good about makes the unknown future just a bit more comfortable. :wink:
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Deanna,

I agree with the ladies' wise advice that having a plan is a good thing, but it's also good to keep in mind that plans can change as children change so much in even 6 months time! So, right now, feel very good about your plan and be peaceful about it. :D Then, when your little one finishes LHTH, you can evaluate your plan and see if it still fits your child. :D If not, change the plan.

The wonderful part of HOD is that it gives you structured flexibility. Working steadily through the guides at the pace that suits your child and your family's goals is very freeing in that you know the skills and progression are covered, it is only the pacing that you may need to tweak sometimes. Rest in the Lord, and He will reveal the path to you as you go! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

avbprincess

Post by avbprincess » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks Carrie for your wise words. I do feel at peace with my plan as it stands, which is what I wanted. Now I can give it all up to God and we will certainly go with my son's flow as he grows. :D
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1