Struggling with separating the kids

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gotpeace91

Re: Struggling with separating the kids

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:45 pm

I don't feel confident enough to give advice on exactly which guides you should use. I'd rather leave that to Carrie and Julie. However, I did want to share that it's been my experience with HOD that it is much easier to boost up an easier guide than it is to take a harder guide down a notch. I also agree with the pp's about having some time off before redoing a guide. I will be coming back to Preparing after a year off and I am now looking forward to it, and I don't think that would have quite been the case without the time off.

ETA: Separating my son and daughter in the guides is one of the best things I've done. DD was sort of riding on her brother's coat-tails so to speak. Separating them has really caused her to blossom in her independence and increased interest in her "own" work. :)
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

waitleys

Post by waitleys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Gwenny wrote:I just wanted to say that my high school daughter is doing CtC this year, but 5 days a week to speed it up a little, and she LOVES it. It is so interesting to her and a nice change from what we were doing. She loves having it all spelled out for her what to do each day. We added extensions, plus some. We are doing some of the books for DITHOR that Carrie recommended for high school. Reading is definitely her passion, so it's only a struggle to not read the whole book in a day or 2.

Nancy

This makes me happy!!!! I looked at some other high school curriculums for ds today at homeschool expo when I was able to leave our vendor booth and I still just kept wondering if R to R isn't where he should be. I think he might actually enjoy the majority of the history books and I know he would like the Bible study. I will have to check out the lit. books for high school as DITHOR would work well for him also. He isn't a reader but if he has to read, he would rather do it from good books instead of a textbook. Thanks for this, it is a super great encouragement!
In Christ, Judy
Helpmeet to My Best Friend
Homeschooling Our Clan

waitleys

Post by waitleys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 pm

my3sons wrote:So, these younger years are crucial, and our teaching needs to be focused, consistent, and complete. Random teaching, hit and miss work on skills, accepting incomplete work, letting poor work habits slide - there is no room for these things in these years - because habits are forming ALL of the time, and whether they are good habits or bad habits has a BIG impact on the years to come. :shock: These years make a permanent impression on our dc - they shape their thoughts of homeschooling - what it is, how it will be done, what they are responsible for, what their role is, what our role is as their teacher.
In Christ,
Julie
This is very much why I do not want to skip Bigger with dd or move ds into Bigger! Ds is SO super busy and struggles a lot sensory integration issues. I know in my heart he is one I cannot just pull along, he has to be able to experience it, live it, and learn it to really "get it". I absolutely love the idea of Beyond at half speed for him and after looking at LHFHG I think he would actually do well with it also. He will not turn 7 until the end of April and although he is very advanced in math, he struggles so much in reading. We started moving at a snails pace for reading and it is finally starting to click! :lol: So I know he just needs extra time. I think I am actually going to have to look deeper at LHFHG. At first glance I felt it would be way to easy but looking at it in light of HIS skill level, attention span, etc. it may actually be an even better choice for him. Thank you for your reply. It truly make me consider all of my little guys needs, not just some of them. :wink:
In Christ, Judy
Homeschooling Our Clan

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:48 pm

My guy is almost 7 as well, great in math, not so hot in reading, and we just started Little Hearts. It's perfect for him and we really like it.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

waitleys

Post by waitleys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 pm

gotpeace91 wrote:I don't feel confident enough to give advice on exactly which guides you should use. I'd rather leave that to Carrie and Julie. However, I did want to share that it's been my experience with HOD that it is much easier to boost up an easier guide than it is to take a harder guide down a notch. I also agree with the pp's about having some time off before redoing a guide. I will be coming back to Preparing after a year off and I am now looking forward to it, and I don't think that would have quite been the case without the time off.

ETA: Separating my son and daughter in the guides is one of the best things I've done. DD was sort of riding on her brother's coat-tails so to speak. Separating them has really caused her to blossom in her independence and increased interest in her "own" work. :)
After reading other responses, I am actually looking at LHFHG instead of Beyond now as like you say, boosting up is easier than taking down. Ds needs time and thankfully, we have all the time we need with homeschooling. He does so well in math that he is getting ready to start 2nd grade math books. Oddly enough, it is like he already "knows how to do it" without anyone showing him. All of the other subjects just don't click with him this way.

Separating the kids is in both of their best interests. Dd is ready for more but because they have been together for so long, she is used to having things just taken down a notch. She capable of so much more and I need to allow her that. Ds is such an amazing little person and given the right tools, he can learn to harness all that energy into something very useful. If I try to force him into something he isn't ready for I am just going to cause him to hate learning. I don't want to do this. My hubby agrees completely and feels this is why his love of learning was squelched at such a young age. All the more reason to give him time!

Thank you so much!
In Christ, Judy
Homeschooling Our Clan

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:49 am

It sounds like you are getting some great advice from all the other ladies. I just wanted to say welcome to the boards! You are going to love HOD!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am

I just wanted to pop on and say I am praying for your placement. It is so neat to see when mommies point out all the dynamics of each child's personality. It just shows how much you love and take to heart this job of being called "mom!" I am confident that since our glorious God has brought you here, He will give you His plan for your family so you can feel peace. I have been so blessed since we began Heart of Dakota in February and I am sure you will be too!

I am doing LHFHG with my daughter now. We seem to zoom through it each day, yet there are building blocks being put into place. Because it is such a short day with fun activities and projects involved, children learn that school is not hard or frustrating, kwim? Each day there is a chapter in their bible or history book, pretend play or a mini science activity, memory verse review, occasionally a devotional and then every day you have your basics of phonics or reading, math, then depending on the option you choose either the rod and staff workbooks or the thinking skills, along with handwriting and finally the wonderful story time books that my daughter has fallen in love with. As I am listing how much is there I am so amazed really, because you cover so much within a very short time each day! I always find time to do her school with her each day, even on my busiest days! Which feels so good, since the young ones always seemed to get lost before, figuring we had time to catchup later. I just thought you might want a rundown of how LHFHG works each day.

You will know best what is going to work for your children and I am confident you will love HOD! I know others have said it, but I can truly see now how important making sure each child is placed right makes a huge difference. I have no doubt
you will find the right placement, as you are seeking so earnestly. :wink:

Welcome!
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG