1st grade in DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Robbi

1st grade in DITHOR

Post by Robbi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi! I’m new here! First a little background. My DD (7 in July) is in public school ALL DAY kindergarten this year and had 2 years at a church preschool prior to that. And with the Lord’s leading we want to bring her home next year!! We also have a DS who is 3 (4 in Nov).
Looking at the placement chart, I’m thinking she fits into Beyond the best, however she is reading on her own. Her writing is typical kindergarten writing; she does it fine but I’m not sure about all writing in DITHOR and coming up with sentences on her own. . . I don’t see her being able to do. Also, since we’re new to homeschooling I don’t want to do too much, however I want her “caught up” just in case we go back to other school options. So I guess my question is: Should I use DITHOR for her since she can read or can I have her read in the Emerging Readers set this year? Thanks for the help!

Robbi
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

blessedmomof4

Re: 1st grade in DITHOR

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Welcome, Robbi!
Because she is going to be in first grade, I would lean toward using the Emerging Readers. Using the readers is more than just reading, there are brief follow-up discussions intended to ensure comprehension, and the books increase in difficulty to build fluency. You can see the readers here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php
My thought is I would agree that DITHOR would be too much writing for a first grader, and the books recommended for DITHOR 2/3 are geared toward 2nd and 3rd graders who are reading independently, the first set ranging in reading level from 3.0-4.1 http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional2.php
If your daughter fits well into Beyond, she will get plenty of practice in all her language arts skills with what is written into the daily lessons, and the Emerging Readers.
Edited to add the reading levels for the Emerging Readers, which I found in another post: "It ranges from 2.0 to 3.4 Only one is 2.0, the next highest is 2.4 (one of those), the rest are 2.5 and higher."
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for the helpful reply! That is what I'm leaning towards, thanks! In Dec at her school they did a "test" and she was reading at a beginning of 3rd grade level and her vocabulary comprehension was at end of 1st grade level. However, she doesn't like to read out loud a lot and I'm not sure about the writing. These 2 things are leaning me towards the Emerging readers set. She has just recently starting reading longer books so I think getting used to the discussion and narration will take some time. I just mentioned to her today that we wanted her to stay home for 1st grade and she did NOT like the idea. Said our house wasn't a classroom, LOL!! We'll have a lot of adjustments to make I think!! :)

Robbi
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I think I would lean towards the emerging readers for a couple of reasons. It would help her increase in her reading aloud ability and comprehension. It would also be easier for you just starting homeschooling. They are scheduled in the back of Beyond too so that would be handy for you. The reading level would be close to where she tested so I don't think it would be too far below to be helpful. You will be working on the reading out loud skills, fluency, and comprehension so having the reading material be at or slightly below her reading level would probably be helpful. You could always start partway through the emerging readers if you felt the early ones were too easy for her or you could move a bit faster if you felt that necessary. The emerging readers are great at building reading fluency and they are such great books too. My dc read them a couple of years ago so I thought perhaps it was time to part with them. When I mentioned getting rid of them, they both begged me to keep them. They really fell in love with those books and reading when using the emerging readers! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm

I agree with the other ladies. I would use the Emerging Readers. Both of my dc love them!!! Oh, and about your home not being a classroom, well, she'll love it when you're snuggled up on the couch with really good books. I promise. Much better than a classroom.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM