Update on Thorton Burgess Books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

Update on Thorton Burgess Books

Post by Tracee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:55 am

In the past, I wasn't confident that the Thorton Burgess books would work for my kids, because of their auditory processing problems, but now they are asking for more. It's so exciting. Every day I have to tell them, you'll have to wait until tomorrow. I think the trick was finding what time of the day worked for us. I was already reading their bible portion to them at breakfast, so I thought I would try lunch also. Viola! A perfect fit for us. The boys hands are busy and my daughter's mouth is busy :lol: .

Thanks for all your encouragement to keep pressing on. Wow, mommy is learning so much.

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

happy@home

Re: Update on Thorton Burgess Books

Post by happy@home » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:27 am

Isn't it wonderful when we try a different approach and it works!! So glad you are now enjoying Thorton Burgess!! My dc still have fond memories of them! :D

Robbin
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 am

My son is not very happy with me when we only read a couple of pages!! :) We usually devour books, so it's really hard to stop. He loves the books though.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 am

Yeah! I'm glad you found a time that works well for you and your dc. We love the Thorton Burgess books here! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 am

We LOVE the Thorton Burgess Books. My older boys HAVE to listen when I read them to my ds 5 and this is the second time for the older boys. They all complain when I say I am done. They want more. So glad for books that encourage the love of reading!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:36 am

Thank you for the update - that is so helpful! :D I glad your dc are loving the Burgess books, and we too have taken advantage of reading while mouths are full and hands are occupied. :wink: You have many great reading days ahead of you with the Burgess books, and if your dc are like mine, when you finish, they'll want to whisk them away to their rooms to read them all again. :D Happy reading!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Tracy,

I'm so glad that your kiddos are enjoying the Thornton Burgess books and asking for more! :D I agree that lunchtime is a wonderful time to take advantage of quiet mouths and open minds! :D

Blessings,
Carrie