Possible Move to Dallas, TX...Any Insights?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnahid

Possible Move to Dallas, TX...Any Insights?

Post by tnahid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 pm

My husband has received a job offer from an engineering firm in Dallas, TX. I would like to ask for prayer in this decision for us. We currently live in KY and have for over 10 years now. This would be a huge move, but we are really feeling led to possibly making this transition in our lives. We are particularly drawn to Gateway Church ministry, which is located in Dallas. Is anyone familiar with this ministry?

Anyway, if you have any insights about Dallas, please let me know. Things such as:
1) best areas which to live (which are also reasonably priced) We would like to rent a house instead of buy when we first move there.
2) homeschooling issues in TX, what it is like, etc.
3) pros and cons as you see them
4) family life, children's opportunities, etc.

Just anything like that. Thank you so much for your help in this! And your PRAYERS! You all prayed for my husband while he went to his mission in Iran, now we need prayer for this next big (possible) step in our lives!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

4Hispraise

Re: Possible Move to Dallas, TX...Any Insights?

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 am

Hi Tina! May the Lord Himself pour out His wisdom upon you and DH as you make this decision! May He clearly lead your hearts to His best, and make a clear path for all that He has for you! So thankful for His protection and working while your DH was out of the country recently.

About Dallas, TX...I am a former Texas gal, myself...and whew, what I wouldn't give somedays to be back there. :D Have no advice about Dallas, though. I lived in Houston in my single days. I know nothing about homeschooling there because I was a ps teacher and my feathers would have been ruffled by someone hsing! lol :lol: Sorry, not much help here! But, I will be praying! How exciting.

For the hs regulations in TX, you could check with Home School Legal Defense on line. They have every state's listed.
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Gwenny

Re: Possible Move to Dallas, TX...Any Insights?

Post by Gwenny » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 am

Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool! I'm so grateful and I would have a hard time living in another state now after hsing here for all of this time. They have some general guidelines, like citizenship, Texas history, etc., but there is no reporting, no testing, you don't have to let the schools know anything about you. You are considered a private school and the state totally leaves you alone. It is quite wonderful. When I read about what some of you have to do I remember again how great Texas is. :) There are LOTS of homeschoolers here.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG