Alternate Storytime books for LHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
alydar

Alternate Storytime books for LHFHG?

Post by alydar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 am

My plan for DD so-close-to-5! is to start LHFHG next after LHTH. But she's been following along with DS (almost 7) all this time and therefore has been enjoying the Burgess books for Storytime, too. I am hoping to span LHFHG for about 1.5-2 years for her to cover K and 1st and then move on to Beyond.

But since she has been so involved with the Storytime of LHFHG already I was wondering if I could sub in other Burgess titles. I think I remember reading another post that had said something about using the Beyond packages as an alternate but I don't think she'd be into those titles yet. Plus, I'd like to save something new for her when she reaches Beyond as I know she'll be listening in on brother's Storytime.

Or is there another series that she might enjoy as much?

They really LOVE the Burgess books! In fact, we've been saving that part of our day til after lunch so that Mare (my mom) can listen, too. :D :D She's been most concerned about poor Danny Meadow Mouse and looks forward to finding out what happens next as much as the kids do. :lol: It's become a family affair! :D :D :D
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

christina101902

Re: Alternate Storytime books for LHFHG?

Post by christina101902 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 am

We are enjoying the Beatrix Potter Giant storybook series there are 14 stories in all incl the Tale of Peter Rabbit, alongside the LHFHG curric.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 am

Big smiles here as I read your post! :D :D We loved the Thorton Burgess books so much here as well that we've read many more of them. The nice thing about choosing some of the other titles is that you will still be "visiting" with the other characters that you've already grown to love. We have read a lot of the Mother West Wind stories since they are basically one story per chapter and we were reading them just as bedtime reading. The only caution with those is occasionally there is a story about how an animal got a particular characteristic. My children know that God actually made things and understand that it is just a fantasy story so it's not a big deal, but I thought I would give you a heads up on that if that is a concern for you. I think any of the other books would be great. You could choose one of the other characters that you've only read a little about in one of the books that you've read already. I think most of the characters have their own book and own story. What fun lies ahead for you! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 am

LHFHG has the book list in the appendix for other books related to the history topics that you could read aloud and it would still be relating to what she's studying in LHFHG. Just an option. Since you have LHFHG check the appendix.

Hope that helps! :)
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 am

My vote is on Beatrix Potter as well! Her stories are a mainstay in our house.

If you want to do Beatrix Potter all the way through Little Hearts with her, I would recommend obtaining an unabridged copy of her complete works. I went ahead a few years ago and invested in a beautiful hardback complete works volume. It was $40 at a major boookstore chain, but I got 25% off with my teacher discount. Having it has been worth the money. I have a good teacher discount at 2 major book chains and it is wonderful!

Hope this helps!

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 am

i used other Burgess books b/c my son did a 2yr Kindergarten. He loved the Burgess books. we also read Blinky Bill , an Australian classic for children. it was hard to find used. might be able to read on-line, i think. Can't remember it was a couple years ago when i got it.

enjoy HOD!

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 pm

I was going to suggest Blinky Bill too! I found it at a thrift store, and it is super cute. Also there are a lot of other Burgess books so I think that would be good to. What about the Burgess bird book, or the Burgess Animal book for children?
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

alydar

Post by alydar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Thank you ladies!

I'm leaning heavily towards the Burgess books, but the idea of Beatrix Potter is interesting. For those who have used it in LHFHG do you read one story per day or do you split the stories up?
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 pm

I split the stories up to atleast 2-3 days. I also show them the next title to be read, then they imagine what the next story will be and are filled with excitement until I read the next story.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 am

I'm glad she has loved the Thorton Burgess books - they are so good, aren't they?!? Of course, there are many more titles of these available. The only thing is, it is really important to have dd develop the skills that are taught through the daily plans of LHFHG's Storytime. They are the following...
*Day 1: basic comprehension discussion questions
*Day 2: retelling the story in a variety of ways
*Day 3: critical thinking questions including some vocabulary discussion
*Day 4: early writing practice emphasizing names and simple words
*Day 5: moral connection questions with personal application

These are tough to replace or to tweak to duplicate. They provide reading instruction that goes so much deeper than just listening to a read-aloud. I've really been thinking about your question here... and personally, my dc have heard/read the Burgess books many times over, and loved them each and every time. :D If it were me, I'd probably reread the Burgess titles and do the plans with my child even if she'd heard them once before. :wink: Listening for enjoyment (as dd did this year), and having to be personally responsible for skill-based learning along with the listening (as dd now would do when LHFHG is providing her learning) are 2 different things, and the latter will prepare her better for what is to come in Beyond. She could still listen in on the Beyond Storytime with big brother for "new" listening material, while still hearing her Burgess books for "learning" material. Then when she does Beyond, you can just use one of the other 2 sets with her. However, you will know best here! I just know I appreciated the learning that took place "skillwise" along with the Burgess books that year, as well as the fun reading the wonderful Burgess books provided! I hope something here helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie