Is my daughter really missing out with no Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

Is my daughter really missing out with no Beyond?

Post by Gwenny » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:11 pm

I probably shouldn't read everything on here! :) I keep hearing about how wonderful Beyond is and how each guide really prepares them for the next one. I started a couple of weeks ago with HOD and am combining my almost 9 yo daughter (will be 9 on 4/1) with an older daughter in Bigger. The only thing in Bigger that is a little much for her is all of the writing, well, I guess also the drawing is pretty advanced for her, she's never really drawn before. She definitely has good comprehension and is a good reader and speller. So far, I just cut some of the writing for her, such as: I don't have her copy the poem, when it calls for 1-3 vocabulary words I only have her do one, in the science she was to draw one or more animals from the shore and tide, label the animal and write something about it from the text-I only had her do one animal each, label and not write something about it. I wrote some of the science experiment for her. Maybe I could make her do it and not worry that it takes her quite awhile to do it.

So, is it really going to pick up and progress to more and more work in Bigger, or is it slow going and her skills will improve along with it? Should she be in Beyond? Am I nuts to think of doing another guide? I would be doing Bigger, Beyond and Little Hearts and sometimes doing LHTH (when we get to it because he's still young). My oldest daughter is doing CtC but she is so old and does it all on her own, just narrates to me when she's supposed to so I don't really count that guide. I sure like the idea of the guides being right for the child that I hate to shortchange her, but that will mean 3 guides every year and then 4 when my little guy gets old enough for Little Hearts. That won't be for almost 2 years and maybe by that time my oldest in Bigger will be more independent, I guess she would be in CtC by then. Other thing, if I leave my almost 9 year old in Bigger, will she be overwhelmed with Preparing?

Wow....too long, sorry. Any thoughts anyone?

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Re: Is my daughter really missing out with no Beyond?

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Beyond is a great guide, but so is Bigger! :D You will get to do Beyond with your younger dc eventually. I think your 2 older dc sound accurately placed in Bigger Hearts. Your almost 9 yo's work in Bigger Hearts sounds typical for beginning the guide. :D I think she is doing just fine! The work within Bigger Hearts will not get harder, and your dd will continue to grow and mature as she moves through the guide. In Bigger Hearts, I try to have my dc able to do the maximum amount of work in the guide by the end of the year. So, for example, by the end of the year, I try to have my dc doing 3 vocabulary cards, all of the poetry copywork, the most work that is suggested in notebooking, doing all of the writing themselves, etc. This has worked incredibly well, and always ensures they will transition into the next guide smoothly! So, I would start having your dd write one line of poetry copywork a day to begin with. Then eventually move her to 2 lines a day, etc., until by the close of the year she is able to copy the entire poem. I'd keep going with 1 vocabulary card awhile, but maybe a third into the year, have her start doing 2 cards, and maybe just the last month or so, 3 cards. She is going to do just fine! The start of the guide is always "training time". Just remember, the intent is to have about a third of it be work dc are familiar with, another third of it should be skills they somewhat know but need to practice, and still another third should be brand new skills that by the end of the year dc will be ready to move into the "practice more" mode the following year in the next guide. If absolutely everything is a piece of cake in the guide from Day 1, a child is probably not placed correctly. HTH - but just keep on keeping on - rest assured your dc are doing just what they should within Bigger Hearts, and they will continue to grow and mature more and more with what they can accomplish throughout the year!!! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks!!!! I know you are right. That helps to know that they are supposed to grow into it. I was looking over Beyond and I do think it would be too easy for her, it looks like fun though. I'm glad I have more little guys coming up that get to do it. It's so funny that we are so excited to do "school" with our littles, it's so fun to see them learn things and we get to read great books. I've been homeschooling for 18 years now and I was thinking the other day that I still have 14 years left!! :) Yikes!
Blessings,
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Nancy, I will graduate my oldest one next year. My youngest will turn 2 next month. I have a lot of years left too. We will be using LHFHG and RTR next year. I will also have my 11th and 12th graders. I combine whenever I can.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.