Question about Extensions for Bigger next year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnahid

Question about Extensions for Bigger next year

Post by tnahid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Okay. I am wondering something. My oldest will be in Bigger next year, and I plan on doing extensions for him. Will he do the extensions INSTEAD of the history reading, etc, or instead of the readings that are assigned in Bigger already? Is the extension schedule explained in the appendix of Bigger? I just want to make sure I get it all right.

Also, has anyone had an issue with 2 children using the same guide and the one doing extensions being upset because they have to do "more" than the younger child? I am trying to head this off before it happens, because I know my oldest son's personality, and I believe I can expect that this might be an issue. What is a good way to explain it to him, other than, "You are older and are expected to do more." That one I know and understand.

Thanks! Just thinking ahead!

Tina
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

raceNzanesmom

Re: Question about Extensions for Bigger next year

Post by raceNzanesmom » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:58 am

I'm pretty sure the extensions are in addition to everything else.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:01 am

For Bigger Hearts, the Extensions reading schedule and follow-up activity instructions are in the appendix. I have Bigger, and it says "Older students should first listen along with younger students to the scheduled history readings in Bigger Hearts for His Glory. Then, older students will independently read the assigned text and literature from the Extension Package for each unit." Also, the Extensions are NOT intended to replace the Storytime titles, which are meant to be read aloud by you to your students.
The books range in reading level from 4.0 to 6.7, so your older child should be a strong independent reader to use the Extensions.
As for the older child having to finish later than the younger, I can't think of a better way to say it than you did, Tina.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 pm

We have had the same issue, and I have explained it the same way.....as you get older the workload gets heavier, more entailed, that's just the way it is. We always say, "If you want to be in 2nd grade (or whatever the younger one is in) then I guess I can give you 2nd grade work". That usually gets them to hush pretty quickly. :roll: :wink: