Explode the Code or R&S for phonics practice?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

Explode the Code or R&S for phonics practice?

Post by abrightmom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 am

Does anybody use ETC or R&S Bible Nurture Reader series for phonics practice/instruction alongside or after learning to read? I like having a written component to phonics instruction and usually use Explode the Code. I have become enamored with Rod & Staff (thanks to Carrie :D ) and wonder if anybody uses their phonics stuff (not to learn to read but just to practice phonics). I wouldn't be interested in R&S's penmanship OR reading workbooks. . . .just the readers & phonics workbooks as "phonics practice" alongside the Emerging Readers Series. My kids tend to need thorough phonics instruction for stuff to "stick" beyond just "practicing reading". I like that it's Word centered and so I'm considering it.

Hope that makes a teeny bit of sense!
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

8arrows

Re: Explode the Code or R&S for phonics practice?

Post by 8arrows » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:26 am

I prefer Explode the Code. It has been a nice supplement to The Reading Lesson for us. You don't NEED it, but we like it if you like a writing compliment.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Daph

Post by Daph » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:42 pm

I tried Rod & Staff with my oldest, and neither one of us was a big fan. I'm now using Explode the Code with my youngest and we both love it. I'm planning on using it all the way through.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:49 pm

I use R&S phonics and I do like it. I haven't used Explode the Code before so I can't compare. My daughter does most of it on her own, but some does require the teacher. It's easy for the teacher though, they tell you everything and they are so inexpensive to get.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

lharris

Post by lharris » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

I've had a chance to review Explode the Code and I think the workbooks are probably good; and I know they are popular; but when I was doing my initial year-long research into phonics programs, the best in the sense of true systematic phonics that you would not have to unlearn any component (like the strange markings for short and long vowels used in some programs that are not in any way related to true dictionary marking -- those will have to be relearned sometime down the road) -- my top rated programs were Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading at Home, which is not mentioned much on list serves??, and Spell to Write and Read by Wanda Sanseri (Spaulding Method). Other programs that I think are also very good include Hooked on Phonics (still good supplement) and My Father's World has a good phonics component. The disadvantage to MFW is it's still not as teachable due to the way the teacher's manual is designed. For ground zero teaching the child to read, look at Ordinary Parents Guide. This can work as a supplement with older students because there are no grades listed, no cutesy pictures to make it look young. Thorough, high-level, systematic phonics at its best. Read the article on phonics that Wanda Sanseri has on her website and her speech to the state senate commmittee. She describes programs that uses Pokey Phonics, Phoney Phonics, or simply Poor Phonics. This will help you in evaluating any phonics program that you are considering. Good luck and blessings,
Laura
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:36 pm

We have used both R&S (grade 1) and ETC primers through book 3, I think. I prefer the simplicity of the presentation of R&S, and its Biblical foundation. ETC is great as well, and loved by many ... it gets the job done ... but I do like the readers with R&S, too.
♥erin kate
mae 9, viola 6, james 5, jack 4
http://www.beautifulblur.com♥

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

We've never used ETC, so I can't speak on that, but we use and absolutely love the R&S Bible & Nurture series. We started our phonics instruction with OPGTR and although it was okay, my son just wasn't progressing the way I desired. When we switched to R&S, he soared. We've completed all of grade 1 and are currently in the beginning of unit 4 of grade 2. We're also doing Beyond (along with the Emerging Readers) and have found the two to be a perfect fit. I love the benefits my son is gaining through the ERS, but I also am thrilled with the skills he is gaining through R&S BNRS.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

daybreaking wrote:We've never used ETC, so I can't speak on that, but we use and absolutely love the R&S Bible & Nurture series. We started our phonics instruction with OPGTR and although it was okay, my son just wasn't progressing the way I desired. When we switched to R&S, he soared. We've completed all of grade 1 and are currently in the beginning of unit 4 of grade 2. We're also doing Beyond (along with the Emerging Readers) and have found the two to be a perfect fit. I love the benefits my son is gaining through the ERS, but I also am thrilled with the skills he is gaining through R&S BNRS.
Okay! I'm happy to hear that there are indeed happy R&S users. This is NOT to teach reading. He can read and is still working through The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. He has also done ETC 1-3. He just needs more practice and the workbook method is effective for him. He loves readers too. He is going to be working on the emerging readers when we start Little Hearts (he is doing Beyond's right side with that). Anyhow, I want to use the first grade R&S phonics so can anyone tell me what to purchase?? I don't want the flashcards or penmanship books. I also don't think I want the reading workbooks or worksheets. I don't want to kill the kid with writing :). So, if I want to use the readers 1-5 and the corresponding phonics workbooks do I need the teacher's guide for that? Often those teacher's guides contain a lot of helpful info. for a classroom teacher but not a home schooler. I am also not using it to teach reading so I don't need all of that instruction either.

Will we be missing anything important if I skip the reading workbooks or worksheets? What components do you all use??? Please share as I think this is a good fit for my dear middle son this year (alongside those emerging readers which he's chomping at the bit to go back to! I told him we're going hard with OPGTR and I hope to finish it or get really close before he goes back to ERS.).

Thanks ladies!!!!!! :D :D :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

jody

Post by jody » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 pm

I have never used Explode the Code and it has been several years since we've used R&S Phonics but I want to tell you how thankful I am for the foundation we laid while we used the BNRS series (includes phonics) in the 1st grade. (My son is now in the 4th). I followed the program as instructed for reading and phonics...and my son loved it. He could read but it was just practice and I'm glad we did it. It is workbooks and flashcards and not too much at one time but because it is scripted it looked so overwhelming and I thought it was a lot!!! (He was much more enthusiastic than I...he is my first student so I am fumbling my way through everything and I thought it was a little too in depth!!! Can you believe how lazy I am? My part was very minimal even! I thought, "this child is not trying to be an English major in the 1st grade! Really? Is all this necessary? Does he need to know what diagraphs and diphtongs are?") Well, shame on me! It was not that it was all that time consuming, rather I was trying to squeeze in a whole bunch of other stuff that was more interesting to me! But now I know that it was so worth waiting on Astronomy so that we could achieve that firm foundation in phonics! :) His writing, spelling and reading are wonderful! He skims through everything easily and I have often thought that it was due to that "tedious" instruction that Rod & Staff gave us. Especially spelling...as I mentioned, I haven't tried Explode the Code, but I don't see how you could go wrong with R&S. We tried other English/Writing programs in 2nd and 3rd but when we started with HOD for the 4th we were overjoyed that Carrie's recommendation is R&S...by now we know the benefits we reaped. We were glad to go back to it...having satisfied all that curiosity! If the whole BNRS series is not your thing, I noticed in the "remedial reading" portion of their catalog there's just a phonics program that might be all that good training in sort of a condensed version. I thought I might take a look at it for my younger son...The prices are always reasonable so it's worth a look! No, I don't work for R&S but can you tell that I like them. :) BTW we use them for Math too. Good, solid, no frills learning that's dependable! May the Lord bless you as you determine your road!

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Katrina,

We use only the phonics workbooks and the readers themselves (no reading workbook, penmanship, flashcards, etc). I highly recommend the TM as well ... it combines the reading and phonics workbooks in the one TM, but you can skip over the reading workbook section ... and it gives insight into the readers, too. For the price, you can't beat it. R&S is having a 10% off sale through April 15, too. :D
♥erin kate
mae 9, viola 6, james 5, jack 4
http://www.beautifulblur.com♥