math and spelling questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3jsmom

math and spelling questions

Post by 3jsmom » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 am

me again! Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I place my order! :) Is anyone using Math U See instead of Singapore? I had chosen MUS based on the Kathy Duffy reviews and my wiggly willies placed higher on MUS. Also, my ds has a really hard time with spelling and we are using All About Spelling. Should I stick with that or will he get the same in-depth lessons as AAS?

Thanks so much!!!
Dara

jenntracy

Re: math and spelling questions

Post by jenntracy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am

we have used Math-u-see from the start and just stuck with it since it seems to be fine with my kids.
My son has done Primer and just finished Alpha. so we are about to start Beta.
We just go at our pace and include it everyday as you would Singapore.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

lharris

Post by lharris » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am

Yes, Math-U-See is my program of choice. I do very little switching with Carrie's choices, but this is the only one that is consistent. I sometimes will supplement with Singapore worksheets to throw in a different approach. Love MUS -- since I taught HighSchool Algebra to students county-wide that had tried to get through the course with several different other programs, I decided this was the program for me when my youngest hit Kindergarten. MUS is our plan for all levels.
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

lharris

Post by lharris » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

Oh yeah, one more thought, I still love to try to get Carrie's hands-on activities for math done even if its off topic with MUS. I really like Carrie's hands-on conceptual lessons. They are a great supplement to the foundation we use.
Laura
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm

About spelling, I don't know which guide you are planning to use, but HOD has spelling beginning in Beyond. After that, HOD uses the Charlotte Mason method of studied dictation, which over time yields lasting results. Dictation is the only spelling I use with my girls, and I see the fruit of it.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:27 pm

We're using MUS since we'd already started using it before we found HOD. I still do some of the activities listed in the math box since my ds likes them. We use list 1 for spelling.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Just a word of caution, but I believe that HOD wants us to keep discussions on this board to just the material that are recommended in the manuals. :wink: You can always pm someone if you want. That way there's no confusion for others! :wink:

Singapore is a great program and the hands on activities have really been instrumental in cementing the skills for my dc. This is my third child using it and it has worked for all learning styles!
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

3jsmom

Post by 3jsmom » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 am

Thanks, everyone!! :)