If you've added other's kids to your HOD ....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

If you've added other's kids to your HOD ....

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm currently making an adventurous move...I want to do one of two things. Either I'm going to take on an extra student or two to homeschool with mine this fall or I'm going to start a co-op style Homeschool Academy that meets 3 days per week and uses HOD!!! It would be the sole curriculum, unlike many co-ops that only teach certain classes and meet only once a week for enrichment. Parents could have the other days for fun or extracurricular activities. I'm not sure how that will all work out, as I'm just gauging interest right now in my community...many parents that homeschool are having to give it up to both work, and there are familes that want to homeschool or send their kids to private school b/c our Arkansas schools aren't good..even the "great districts" are poor. This would give them a less expensive alternative...anyway...that's not where my question is. LOL....I'm just super excited about the possibilities as I've felt drawn to do this for YEARS!! If you know anyone in central AR that could benefit or would like to help, send 'em my way! Ha! :wink:

So, my question is about folding in the extra kids in my home if I only did that instead of the "school". Forsessions, a friend Is interested in quitting her job to homeschool her son, but she's not sure if she can right now. ...so perhaps I'll make this offer to her. So, I'd have a 6th grader, then my 5th grader, 2nd, and K4, and almost 2yo. How do I place a 6th grader coming from PS that isn't my child?! He is doing just fine in school, no behavior or academic issues. I was thinking that instead of combining my two oldest (5th/2nd) in BHFHG plus ext for 5th, that I could combine the 6th with my 5th in PHFHG both with extensions. Then my 2nd grader in BHFHG half-speed for a while. Not sure about my K4 who will be 5 in Sept and just barely misses the K cutoff. He is zooming through LHTH so fast I added in some extras to slow him down. He LOVES it and is ready for more, but not quite ready for LHFHG. Then of course, there's my 2yo. If you've added in extras, HOW did you do it?! Do you have the parents purchase the needed supplies (binders, art stuff, etc.), consumables, and independent books? If they do extensions, do you have them read those at home or have them work that into the school day? How have you felt about having someone else's kid as part of your school day? Do you charge (like "daycare")? If so, how much? I prefer NOT to add in younger, less independent children other than one I could fold in with my 2nd grader. I have enough young ones as is, but I'd love to add a couple older ones! I'm just so unsure about the logistics of it, plus the copywrite issues... Anyone have any advice?
Last edited by Mom2Monkeys on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

tkeller

Re: If you've added other's kids to your HOD ....

Post by tkeller » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi! I don't have a lot of advice, since I only have a four year old and we are doing LHTH. I do watch 3 kids in my home and they do preschool with us. We do it while the baby is sleeping to make it easier for everyone. My son needed more than LHTH so we added some workbooks (HWT, and ETC primer books, and Singapore EB 1a & b) and some extra crafts and stuff. I don't ask the parents for money for the workbooks since they pay me a daily rate, but I just try to pick up the workbooks used to save some $$.

Good luck!
Talitha
Mommy to one 6 year old blessing, and another on the way!
2012-2013 Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
2011-2012 Little Hearts for His Glory
2010-2011 Little Hands to Heaven (2nd time)
2009-2010 Little Hands to Heaven

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I would be very cautious about adding additional students or understaking such a large adventure. If I have read your posts correctly in the past, one reason you were combining your students was to streamline your day. Adding additional students to your day is a move in the polar opposite direction. Schedules, expectations, personalities, workload.......and you still have little ones. What does your husband think? More children mean more noise. I would be very hesitant to take on other children. However, that is of course only my opinion. I do not know you in real life, nor your circumstances or personality. I would definately bathe the decision in much prayer.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm

8arrows wrote:I would be very cautious about adding additional students or understaking such a large adventure. If I have read your posts correctly in the past, one reason you were combining your students was to streamline your day. Adding additional students to your day is a move in the polar opposite direction. Schedules, expectations, personalities, workload.......and you still have little ones. What does your husband think? More children mean more noise. I would be very hesitant to take on other children. However, that is of course only my opinion. I do not know you in real life, nor your circumstances or personality. I would definately bathe the decision in much prayer.
I appreciate your input! There are several reasons I'm considering this...partly, it's the fact it would push me into the structure I need and crave. It's so easy to let things go when there's no accountability. Another, we need some money! My husband is on board and suppportive. If I add students to my home, I would not add any that would be in different guides than my children are in, and I wouldn't add little ones. I thrive in very structured environments and I know myself...I don't execute it well without being pushed to do so...I have to feel that I HAVE to do it...and then I'm much better. (I was actually in the Army at one point and so enjoyed the structured chaos...lol.) I do love the idea of streamlining by combining my kids, and some of that is selfish, as it really is doable to not combine them and place them both exactly where they place...but I'm so undisciplined! I NEED to have something hanging over my head and I can do it all and do it well! Knowing two children will be in my house at 7:15 each morning, ready to start school shortly after, will make me get my rear in gear. Up, showered, and ready to go...I just love that...I always have a clean house when company is coming...it's like the pressure is on and I suddenly have the ability to accomplish so much and stop my dawdling. I'm being super honest here...LOL...I'm a piddler. Adding a couple would oddly, get my kids to get their rears in gear too...It would help us have set hours for school, a great early start time which is crucial in my house, would keep the pressure on me enough to keep my moving forward and not let my circumstances dictate my daily accomplishments so much, and I really feel like I've been putting it off for so long even though I've felt so drawn to it all this time...perhaps it's God calling me to it and I'm having to learn to listen! I feel very much at peace about doing it, and rarely does DH support me in my endeavors like he has in this one!
Also, part of the issue has been lack of sleep...we are finally getting some help with my toddler that has been in the newborn phase sleep-wise for all 15 months of his life and that issue should be long gone, meaning I'll be a new person! I'll be...AWAKE and ALERT! Ha! Admittedly, one good thing that has happened due to my kids being in public school this semester is the forced routine. I love it.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

patekake

Post by patekake » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I took in another child to homeschool this school year with my child who is our only child left in school. My daughter is in RTR, and the other child is in PHFHG. While it has helped my daughter gain some independence, it has been a challenge. On the other hand, undertaking another child to homeschool has made me more disciplined about getting up and starting our day at a certain time. I am usually disciplined, however, in making sure everything has been completed each day so this area is not an issue.
I have chosen not to homeschool the other child next year for the following reasons. I truly missed my daughter this year. I feel like I pushed her aside to meet the needs of the other child. I found myself spending 97% of my time schooling the other child to make sure that he gets the best education possible. He stays from 7:30 until noon each day so after he leaves I work with my daughter on the subjects that require my help. This really makes for a much longer day.
I know God will give you direction if this is something that He wants you to do. I felt the Lord leading me and still feel that I was obedient in answering His call. This child had high anxiety, and that has diminished. It showed me the importance of starting school early and the value of the first hours of the day. I now know that a little self-discipline can take care of this matter, and that I don't need to make things hard to accomplish this goal. Needs have been met, lessons have been learned, and independence has been gained this year.
To answer your question about supplies, his parents bought him all the curriculum except for a couple of books I had that I loaned him. I gave them a list of needed items like notebooks, folders, paints, colors, pencils and storage containers for the supplies.
As for as our daily routine, we worked through most of the boxes; however, when he moved at a slow pace, he often had to complete his work at home. I wrote his assignments in a spiral. Most days he would complete the History Project box, Science Exploration and Independent History Study at home. We spent a little longer on Math and Language Arts due to struggles in these areas.
I often thought of our editor, Julie, this year as she responded to a similiar post that I posted last year. She warned me about many of the things that it took me a large part of the school year to learn. I thought many times this year that Julie was exactly right. Hopefully, she will be able to share her wisdom with you.
Praying for you,

Patti
Wife of 27 years to Gene
25 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), working on Master's
23 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), Dental Assistant
13 year old dd, homeschooled, CTC (2009) and beginning RTR Aug, 2010

lharris

Post by lharris » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:19 am

That sounds like great fun! I hope this will be a blessing for all those families. But in addition to your help and co-op, I just wanted to encourage those moms who think they have to quit their job. My husband and I both work 40 hrs, but we alternated our schedules because we had that option when it came up -- he took a weekend shift (3 days 12 hrs) and I work a more traditional schedule but close 2x week. So all our "school time" is late in the evening. We start at 8:30pm and run till 11:00pm or Midnight. That allows our schedule to be strict and consistent 4 days week all year long. When we first started considering homeschool, I had a fear of meeting God and telling Him, I couldn't do what he was calling me to do because I had to work -- I imagined that scenerario and I thought --- I really don't think that will pass muster :) So if your heart is in the right place, and the children have someone with them, dad, oldest sibling, grandparent then be brave and school at night!! Their homework and relaxation time is during the day while you're at work, or in the case of high school students, independent reading while you're at work. Blessings,
Laura
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 am

I am sure you have already considered this but just in case you have not, be careful to really check in to what is "allowed" in your state as a "co-op". I know in our state it is a little "foggy" on what is acceptable to co-op but parent/teacher is required to be the one covering the "core" subject teaching and co-ops are to be "enrichment" in nature. The way things are going in our world these days it would be wise to make sure we dot all our "I"s and cross all our "T"s :D ! I am interested to hear how it goes if you chose this route - praying for God's wisdom right now as you try to plan for next year.
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 am

I have combined LHTH for two years with my daughter and 2 other children, that i keep for extra income. This year my daughter has moved on to LHFHG and the others are still in LHTH. After this year I will no longer have the additional two children as they are moving on to K in ps. I will not be replacing their spots, my husband and I have decided that the money is not worth the loss of interaction and time with our own family. With taking on other children you are limited in your vacations, even trips to the park can be quite impossible. Homeschool gives us the ability to teach our daughter while spending quality time with her especially during these treasured years that will go by too fast. I just realized my daughter has had to share me(my time, my love, my attention) with other children who are not siblings since she was one. Although she has great socialization skills from having companions all this time, we feel that it would be better for us as a family if we discontinue after this year.

side note- my husband works rotating 12 hour shifts so his days off rotate. EX works three off two days, so he also does not get to enjoy very much time with us, as he is not your typical m-f 8-5 worker.

So my response is really look at what your other children may lose with you adding additional children to your day. If you decide to go through with it, give it a trial run for this year. All workbooks and school supplies purchased were at my own expense as they were considered as part of the description of what I was charging services for.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for all the input so far!

Many of the cons mentioned are things I've considered. I'm still praying about it and constantly feel pushed toward it. Trying to discern if it's God or me doing the pushing!

I know I can't take on any little kids. That would take away so much from my own children. That's why I will only accept older elementary children that can work within the guides my children will already be using and are somewhat independent. No kids with behavioral issues or learning issues right now. I can't do that. And the money...this is not just wanting extra money...this is NEEDING money to cover our needs. DH has a good job but we have all these student loans to pay back now, plus a half hour drive to and from work each day with sky high gas prices, and since DH is no longer a student, we get no assistance anymore. I NEED to find a way to bring in some income and teaching is something I love doing, plus it would keep me at home with my kids! Or if the school co-op thing takes off, then that's only three days out and I'm still right there.

Oh, and someone mentioned the laws regarding co-ops. The state of Arkansas allows for other adults besides the parents to be the primary teacher to homeschooled children. This new law was an effort to allow more parents to bring or keep their children home in the event illness or finances didn't allow them to be the primary teachers. So, that's all fine and dandy ;) A wonderful law IMO. It has been a blessing to so many!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Daph

Post by Daph » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 pm

I agree with Suzy. Make sure you know what the state allows before making any commitments. Here, in NC, two families are allowed to teach together, or one family can teach children from one other family only.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 am

Mom2Monkeys wrote:this is not just wanting extra money...this is NEEDING money to cover our needs. DH has a good job but we have all these student loans to pay back now, plus a half hour drive to and from work each day with sky high gas prices, and since DH is no longer a student, we get no assistance anymore. I NEED to find a way to bring in some income and teaching is something I love doing, plus it would keep me at home with my kids! Or if the school co-op thing takes off, then that's only three days out and I'm still right there. !

Totally agree about needs.. I took on other children to get a house remodel and land payment taken care of , 4 years later we are debt free . So yes, now that weve achieved our goals we are ready to refocus plus we intend on expanding our little family. So if this new adventure will allow you to take care of those student loans, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Even if you have to be shared with other children you guys being debtfree after a few years will make a big difference for your whole family.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 pm

What about tutoring other children? Would this be something you could do with other children in the afternoon or evenings to help with extra income? Do you have older children who could tutor other children and earn income as well? This is just a thought. You also might consider just starting out with a one-day co-op, where other homeschool parents drop their kids off for the day for you to do some fun HOD type of learning with them, like on Fridays. There would probably be some people interested in this too. Then you could have your 4 days free but 1 day of income. Sort of like a "mother's day out" but for older children? Just some thoughts to consider.

Also, if you have a bachelor's degree and like to edit or grade papers, you can also do this online as a job for extra income, and you can do this on computer at night. I guess I just have a little red flag in my spirit about taking on other children as a way of forcing yourself to be more disciplined. I know how I am, and I understand what you are saying, really. But, putting this kind of pressure on yourself each day could be as exhausting as if your children were in an institutional environment. To me, one of the beauties of getting to be at home is that it can flow more naturally with what is happening with our life, and not by a strict time schedule. I agree that having a set order and flexible time schedule is good, yes, and very helpful, but I don't think you want to get stuck in it or burn out on it. This may not be you, but I am like that. I tend to get burn out really easy when I feel lots of pressure! :P :P Yes, I perform well to a certain extent, but I feel a lot of anger/anxiety inside at the same time. Do you know what I mean?

You may not be like me, but I sense that you are a little. I am an idea junkie! I am always thinking of new ideas. I love to do new things and take on new projects. But my problem is follow through! That is where my husband comes in. He always helps to keep me balanced, while not squashing my big plans and dreams, but quietly and sweetly reminding me of the practical matters involved. I don't like PRACTICAL! It's not fun! But the practical is always what becomes my hindrance! :D

Anyway, I think it sounds wonderful what you want to do. I wish you lived here so mine could come to your house on Fridays and get some co-op time! That sounds great. But consider just once a week to start out with. I know you want to get debt paid, and to help your husband. That is all very good and honoring. But you must be at peace as well, and not harried or lose your joy in it all. Just follow His Spirit and the wise counsel of others and of God's Word. He will lead you in His paths, and He will make them straight. He will provide a way for you, whether it is this or something else. Seek Him and let Him direct you. Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!