R&S Worksheets

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnahid

R&S Worksheets

Post by tnahid » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 am

Does anyone use the Rod and Staff worksheets that go along with the textbook? I was thinking of ordering these, as my son does NOT enjoy writing his answers to his lesson on paper. Also, when I ordered the LA 3 book, I ordered the testing booklet with it. I gave him the unit test last Thursday...and he did TERRIBLE! Now granted, he did not really go back and review anything before taking the test...and he took the test completely on his own in his room. But, I was bummed. He really does well when we do it orally together or when he writes a few sentences down when I am watching him usually. But, he just bombed this last one. I know his comprehension isn't that great. I was just thinking these worksheets might give him some extra practice that he might need.

Also, he really doesn't like doing this book with me that much and said he just wanted something with a workbook he could fill in each day. Hmmm? What to do? Maybe the worksheets?

What are your thoughts?
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

arstephia

Re: R&S Worksheets

Post by arstephia » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 am

Tina,
The worksheets are not for every lesson, so I don't think it can be used as a substitute for the written work. (Looking at my dd's 5th grade R&S book, there are worksheets for lessons 1, 2,3,8,11,15,16,17,20,22,23,27, etc. You get the idea.) What I DID do when my kids were younger, and still do for the diagramming is to use a dry erase board. It took the writing pressure off. We did the Class Practice or Oral Practice sections out loud together, and then I had him/her do the written practice odds/evens on a dry erase board and I would look over them when they filled their board. I know it was the same thing as writing on notebook paper, but it did help. I do use the worksheets though for extra practice.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 am

I like the worksheets. They do not add a lot of work and are good extra practice. They only go with a few lessons. We do a lot orally as well, but I have started having my daughter do a little more writing than I did because I noticed that it shows a little more whether she really knows it. I thought she had the subject/predicate thing down really well and then I had her do some written, she struggled with it. The dry erase board is a good idea, my kids would love that. I remember LOVING being able to write on the chalkboard as a kid. :)

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:39 am

This is an interesting thread to me. We have begun using the worksheets and tests recently as a form or review and establishing whether or not they have mastered the material. I, too, am convinced that writing the information - whether on a white board, piece of paper or quiz - does cement learning.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:45 am

We use the WS and tests too. If there's a WS, dd does the whole page. If there's not one, she does a little written from the text.
When she was having trouble with the grammar concepts, we found some fun books at the library. One is Eats, Shoots, and leaves...others were about parts of speech. I'll try to remember the names and tell you later.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:00 pm

deltagal wrote: I, too, am convinced that writing the information - whether on a white board, piece of paper or quiz - does cement learning.
We were doing the R&S verbally until I noticed the information wasn't being applied to my children's real life studies. They would "forget" to capitalize the first word of a sentence, write phrases instead of sentences, and forget punctuation. I told them if their work didn't improve, then they would have to start writing out their English lessons. Well, I'm sorry to say they're writing out their lessons now, BUT I am seeing major improvements as a result. I have the worksheets for the Grade 3 grammer and the tests for all levels. My daughter enjoys doing the worksheets, but she likes grammer.
tnahid wrote: I know his comprehension isn't that great. I was just thinking these worksheets might give him some extra practice that he might need.

Also, he really doesn't like doing this book with me that much and said he just wanted something with a workbook he could fill in each day. Hmmm? What to do? Maybe the worksheets?

What are your thoughts?
I understand your son's point of view, but I don't see how not doing the book with you is going to help him. Personally, I don't think I'd give him the option. This is just my 2 cents so take it or leave it, but if my child bombed a test, and wasn't doing well in a subject, then I would really make that subject a priority. I would probably go over Review 1 and Review 2 with your son again, and retest him and see if he can do better. Carrie made a comment on a post a week or two ago and it really hit home. She said something to the effect that there are going to be some subjects that children are going to just have to work harder at. :idea: :idea: :idea: It's true at our house. My kids to quite well in school, but they each have a subject they seem to struggle with. I can't imagine where my daughter would be if I let her have her way with math...but that's another post! :D

Anyway, good luck. I hope you can figure out what you need to do with your son.

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:29 pm

I think you are right, 5littlepeaches... thanks for the reminder about that. I think he was just bummed when he said it. As was I. I know that LA is something that I must work with him one-on-one with. Guess I was being a little lazy too, wanting to find an easier way out.... Thanks for the good word!!! I am going to order the worksheets though. I think they will give a bit more practice that he needs.
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!